BX25 front axle clunking sound

/ BX25 front axle clunking sound #1  

mikeharold

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D
Have a BX25 with 500 hrs. I get a clunking sound from the front axle. Hard to say if it's from from changing directions or turning or a combo of the two. Fluid seems to be full in the axle. Or could it have to do with the 4WD? Just thought of that and not sure I've taken it out of 4WD to see if that changes anything.

/ BX25 front axle clunking sound #2  
Check your steering cylinder. It is held in place with two snap rings, one at each end. One of them may have failed. It may be hard to spot as when you turn the right direction the cylinder may appear to be in place.

Doug in SW IA

/ BX25 front axle clunking sound #3  
Bad u-joint on the front drive shaft will do that. Front goes out more than the rear, unless you break the rear bearing support bracket.

/ BX25 front axle clunking sound
Thanks for the inputs. I'll check both out and see what I find

/ BX25 front axle clunking sound #5  
Both of those solutions are possible. I have had them both! Just last week i replaced the mount at the "driver" side of the steering cylinder, which was bent after the snap ring on the other side disappeared. The good news is that the parts are cheap and the job is pretty simple.
The u joint replacement on the front drive shaft is also not difficult.
I will add a 3rd possible cause. Check the tightness of the lug bolts holding the front wheels. I let mine get loose on one side, and there was enough slippage that the bolts ground 2 of the holes oval in the rims. The resulting slippage actually caused a rhythmic clunk. Tightening the lugs solved it temporarily, but I replaced the rim for a more lasting fix.
All the above parts were available faster from Messick's than from the local dealers. Even the rim was under $100. I took the wheel to a local tire shop to have the tire moved to the new rim.

/ BX25 front axle clunking sound #6  
Thanks for the inputs. I'll check both out and see what I find
I think a good place to star is to use the FEL to raise the front wheels off the ground, put everthing in neutal, shuut off the engine, and then go around front and see if you can move things to make a clunk.

Most of the front axle problems I've seen are actually front driveshaft or steering problems. More often than not from driving around in 4wd with a load in the bucket.

The good news is that fixes are easy.