BX2660 dipstick accurate?

/ BX2660 dipstick accurate? #11  
Get the oil between the marks on the dipstick when the engine is cold, sitting level. That's where it needs to be, regardless of what the manual says.
When you drain it next time measure what comes out, including what the filter held. Put the same amount in, run it briefly, then let it drain down completely and remeasure until it's right. That will give you a better idea for next time. Note the amount in your manual for reference.

/ BX2660 dipstick accurate?
I did not measure how much came out but I know that it was more than a gallon. I wanted to check if the previous owner made a mistake. By the way, yesterday I was trying to back up with about 300 pounds in the loader. I was only running about 2200 rpm and up hill. The 2660 would not move until I increased the rpm. Does this machine really need the higher engine speeds or is there something wrong?

/ BX2660 dipstick accurate? #13  
Define hill. Show pic or give hill grade #. We're good, but we're not psychic ! :confused2:

/ BX2660 dipstick accurate? #14  
low range is your friend too....I thought my tractor was broke because I couldn't go uphill in high. turns out that high is only for the road to and from job sites. I run my rpm's higher too, seems like the tractor needs it. I will say ive learned on more than one occasions not to worry about the tractor or the drivetrain. You will definitely run out of traction before power. Ive dug big holes with my loaded bar tires on dry ground. She has plenty of power. The hydro whine is "amplified" through the ROPS sort of like a tuning fork. many threads about how quit the tractor is once removed. Just not safe. Some guys drill a hole and fill with foam which worries me about drilling. other guys have reduced but no eliminated the sound by placing rubber pads or cut tire patches between the rops and mounting bolts. Ii personally just don't even pay attention to it anymore.

/ BX2660 dipstick accurate? #15  
first off . congrats on the BX. Its certainly a different breed of a diesel tractor. It is normal to have "high idle speed". The hydro whine is from the rops ringing from the hydro oil vibrating thru the transmission thru the rops bolt downs. Just get expanding foam from the local hardware store and fill up the rops. Note: your tractor is the 4 digit series so you will need to remove rops from tractor and drill a 1/4 inch hole for the foam tubing on one side and 1/4 for otherside for air to escape. My bx is the folding kind so its different on how to approach filling the rops. As for the manual not being accurate -you are not alone. my manual says many things that makes no sense either - I would have to start a thread on that as a rant.
Really... fill the ROPS? Haven't heard that one before but I imagine it could change the overall sound of the tractor. So are you saying the 'whine' is significantly reduced? If so, I am listening. How did you get the foam all the way around? Did you put a small hose extension on the aerosol can?
I did not measure how much came out but I know that it was more than a gallon. I wanted to check if the previous owner made a mistake. By the way, yesterday I was trying to back up with about 300 pounds in the loader. I was only running about 2200 rpm and up hill. The 2660 would not move until I increased the rpm. Does this machine really need the higher engine speeds or is there something wrong?
I go up some steep hills, some that most wouldn't attempt, especially with a BH on. Going up steep hills I am usually running at least 2400rpm. That 'feels' better.

/ BX2660 dipstick accurate?
The hill was 20% grade max. Nothing to worry about. On a flat surface the tractor would have backed up, slowly, but moved. But trying to back up a 20% grade at 2200 rpm it would not move with the reverse pedal all the way down. I guess what concerns me is that my other diesels red line at close to this rpm with tons of power (not hydros). The Kubota wants 3000+ to move at any reasonable speed including the FEL. The engine runs nice though. I am glad that I put in synthetic oil considering the high rpm idle and to operate.

/ BX2660 dipstick accurate? #17  
Yeah, if you dont have a load in the back of the tractor to ballast for the 300lbs in the bucket, the tractor really wont move anywhere depending on if you are in high or low range, low range helps you move around better under load, it takes stress off of the transmission. I can do many things with mine in high range, but if i was doing what you were doing i would have tried it in 4wd and high range but if i started to chugg, then i would switch it to low range.

/ BX2660 dipstick accurate? #18  
The hill was 20% grade max. Nothing to worry about. On a flat surface the tractor would have backed up, slowly, but moved. But trying to back up a 20% grade at 2200 rpm it would not move with the reverse pedal all the way down. I guess what concerns me is that my other diesels red line at close to this rpm with tons of power (not hydros). The Kubota wants 3000+ to move at any reasonable speed including the FEL. The engine runs nice though. I am glad that I put in synthetic oil considering the high rpm idle and to operate.
Yeah my HST doesn't 'like' to back up steep hills especially with a load. I try to avoid that maneuver now. Going fwd up hill, no issues.

/ BX2660 dipstick accurate? #19  
. . . But trying to back up a 20% grade at 2200 rpm it would not move with the reverse pedal all the way down. . . .

That may be part of your problem. The HST pedal is not like an accelerator pedal in a car. It is a speed pedal, not a power pedal. You get the most power when you are just barely pushing on the pedal.

/ BX2660 dipstick accurate? #20  
That may be part of your problem. The HST pedal is not like an accelerator pedal in a car. It is a speed pedal, not a power pedal. You get the most power when you are just barely pushing on the pedal.

Echo that. So many people have issues either because they are not using LOW gear when they should (or in HIGH when they shouldn't be), or because they mash the HST treadle too far. The farther you push it, the higher the effective gear range, so it works against you. Need to use the hand throttle to control input power, and go light on the foot treadle to maximize torque. It should only be pushed all the way when you want speed instead of torque.