Bypass Hose

/ Bypass Hose #1  

bindian

Tractor
Mahindra 6520 4WD
After 14 years of owning my 6520, I found a design feature I do not like. I had leaking radiator hoses. While snooping around for the leaks, I found a 2.5" long hose going from the water pump to the thermostat housing. It's about 1.25" in diameter. It was leaking also.

So today, I removed the 3 hoses. I was hoping there was enough gap between the waterpump outlet and the thermostat housing outlet to let me "fold" the hose at an angle and slide it on. Image how unhappy I was when I cut the old hose off, only to find a 1/4" gap. The water pump has to come off.
Mahindra Water Pump Bypass Hose Profile.jpg

Mahindra Water Pump Bypass Hose Location.jpg

My dealer was closed today. Something about a New Year's Holiday or such. I will talk to them tomorrow about a new gasket for the pump. If I can't get one in 24 hours, I will make one from gasket stock.

To make matters worse in the design, an oil hose right off the filter assembly goes into the waterpump with a 3/4" hose about 3.5" long. It is connected to a metal tube when it is near the hyd. pump pulley. That will have to be removed also. The 3/4" line is past the top of the hyd. pump pulley in this photo.......
Mahindra Water Pump Oil Hose.jpg

and to the left of the pulley here............
Mahindra WaterPump Oil Hose.jpg

hugs, Brandi

Last edited:
   / Bypass Hose #2  
Can't help you from here but I'm watching. Good luck. 🙁

/ Bypass Hose
I took it all out to get access to the waterpump.
Mahindra Radiator Hose R&R Fork Supposrt.jpg
Mahindra Cooling System Gutted.jpg

Even had to remove the hydrualic pump because of this............
Mahindra Hyd. Pump Pulley 2022.jpg

I am waiting on an oring seal for the waterpump to reinstall everything. It was overnighted yesterday, but was a no show today.

I had it all apart in about 2 hours. Hopefully the oring will come in tomorrow, as it is suppose to be 70 and 80% chance of rain Sat. and Sun.
hugs, Brandi

/ Bypass Hose
..............and here is the pulley welded up.
Mahindra Hyd Pump Pulley Welded.jpg

I just primed it and will paint the face white, so I can see if cracks continue.
hugs, Brandi

/ Bypass Hose #5  
What first seemed like hard luck turned out a blessing. Had those hose been quick and simple to change,the busted pulley could have easily been overlooked. When the pulley finally shattered there could have been damage more expensive and labor intensive than what this is.

/ Bypass Hose
I realize now the oil supply line to the waterpump makes the waterpump bullet proof, with the bearing bathed in oil. Don't you wish cars and trucks had an oil supply to your waterpump bearing.

I change my Cummins waterpump about every 100,000 miles. Sometimes because it is leaking out the weep hole, but I know also to change it because the vanes get ate up too. One pump came out with numbs instead of vanes. 14 years and this waterpump's vanes look brand new. Made in India, go figure.
hugs, Brandi

/ Bypass Hose
What first seemed like hard luck turned out a blessing. Had those hose been quick and simple to change,the busted pulley could have easily been overlooked. When the pulley finally shattered there could have been damage more expensive and labor intensive than what this is.
Maybe, maybe not to more damage. While still in warranty, 12 years ago, the pulley came apart at the bolt holes, but nothing was harmed other than a small cut on the belt. The hub just kept spinning while the pulley just sat there. But you never know.
hugs, Brandi

/ Bypass Hose
As it was scheduled 80 and 70 percent rain today and tomorrow, and it was 46 outside Friday, I moved the tractor inside. Right before the waterpump oring arrived, I hooked up the battery, capped off the oil line to the waterpump, and backed her into the barn. I was worried about the forks pointing into the concrete, so I came up with this "tool".
Mahindra Forks Down Arms Up In Barn 2022.jpg

hugs, Brandi