cable across driveway-

/ cable across driveway- #21  
The city of 440,000 inhabitants where I live requires commercial property to have a minimum of a chain barrier after hours across all vehicle entrance points...

In came in part in response to illegal dumping and to prevent loitering...

There are hundreds of property owners in the local business association and never has the issue of liability for putting a city required chain barrier come up...

/ cable across driveway- #22  
Fences and signs only keep out the honest people. Put up a trail camera and get some pics.

Just make sure it's an IR camera so you don't lose it. I also put a note in there that the camera AND DATA is valued at $1000 and that there are 4 more. Either return it or face felony charges.

If you hang a cable and someone gets decapitated, you could get sued out of your pants. Put up a gate, no trespassing signs, reflectors and a game camera if you still have problems.

Depends on the state and the circumstance. If you put the cable up with the intent of harming someone (an incredibly stupid action!!) -- then yes you deserve to be sued and to lose. But, in our state there is a recreational use statute that protects private property owners when someone is harmed while engaged in recreational activities. And yes, there was at least one case where a cable was strung to close a trail (that had been previously used for atv's) and a 16 year old was seriously harmed by it. The land owner had the case dismissed because atv riding is "recreational".

I do hate to think that some states allow criminals harmed while committing crimes to sue the land owners. What have the lawyers done:confused2:?

/ cable across driveway- #23  
I hate to be a naysayer, but if you are having trouble with ATV's, unless you have a fence or an extremely steep ditch all the way around they will easily just find a way around whatever you put up.

/ cable across driveway- #24  
First I would double check your state & local laws as to what your rights are and what you are required to do (signage, gate, etc.). Next, I would probably make sure I have a police report on file or maybe each time it happens so there is a nice paper trail. Make sure all damages are documented!

As much as I'd love to see the spike strips go down and enjoy the revenge factor :)thumbsup:), I think you're asking for trouble if you do that???

Just had an idea:D:D, go on line and buy 3 or 4 paintball landmines. They work just like a claymore and are triggered the same way....a trip wire! They are CO2 powered. You could fill them with pink, red, green colored paint or even smoke.....I'm sure that will give them a set of brown underwear!!!! What a scene that would be??

The grenades are reusable so you could do it more than once and if you keep moving it around, they'll never know where to expect it....kind of like a game. Wished we lived real close, I'd stop by and help you.:D

Here's a link if you want to try it.....

Paintball Mines / Smoke Bombs

No matter what you do, best wishes and please keep us posted:thumbsup:

/ cable across driveway- #25  
I remember someone saying they rigged something for their garage that was a tripline that kicked on a loud horn. If you could run it on battery, and a flashing light/horn system that would get them hauling in a hurry. just worry about mother nature tripping it.

/ cable across driveway- #26  
The best gate I've seen was an old worn out dozer track chain. They welded up all but the end link so it would pivot on that point. Nobody is going to steal it, lift it up, or drive into it and break it. I does require a strong post to hold it up though.