Calculating Your Predicted Rollover Angle

/ Calculating Your Predicted Rollover Angle #51  
The vineyard tractors are narrow front and back to fit between the rows of vines but there is no point in not having the fronts run in the same track as the rear wheels.

Are you interested in a tricycle type tractor? I don't think those are made by anyone these days?

/ Calculating Your Predicted Rollover Angle #52  
No just making the point that they stopped making them that way for a good reason, and that it is their increased liability from unnecessary rollovers is that reason.

/ Calculating Your Predicted Rollover Angle
All,

I just want to thank everyone for joining in the discussion. I appreciate everyone's thoughts and ideas, and especially the cautions about dynamic variables.

Best,

Rhino

/ Calculating Your Predicted Rollover Angle #54  
Has anybody made calculations for a Massey Ferguson 1635 with FEL but without a cab?

Last fall I was pulling a 2 bottom plow on a sidehill and got nervous with one wheel in the furrow and the other on the hill side. I realize a plow 5 to 6 inches in the soil would lower the CG but how do you factor that into the computations?

/ Calculating Your Predicted Rollover Angle #56  
I suppose that is a verifiable fact?

Well my first hit from goggle popped up this from wiki.
Agriculture in the United States is one of the most hazardous industries, only surpassed by mining and construction. No other farm machine is so identified with the hazards of production agriculture as the tractor.[25] Tractor-related injuries account for approximately 32% of the fatalities and 6% of the nonfatal injuries in agriculture. Over 50% is attributed to tractor overturns.[26]

The roll-over protection structure (ROPS) and seat belt, when worn, are the most important safety devices to protect operators from death during tractor overturns.[27]

Modern tractors have a ROPS to prevent an operator from being crushed if the tractor turns over. The ROPS does not prevent tractor overturns; rather, it prevents the operator from being crushed during an overturn. This is especially important in open-air tractors, where the ROPS is a steel beam that extends above the operator's seat. For tractors with operator cabs, the ROPS is part of the frame of the cab. A ROPS with enclosed cab further reduces the likelihood of serious injury because the operator is protected by the sides and windows of the cab.

These structures were first required by legislation in Sweden in 1959. Before they were required, some farmers died when their tractors rolled on top of them. Row-crop tractors, before ROPS, were particularly dangerous because of their 'tricycle' design with the two front wheels spaced close together and angled inward toward the ground. Some farmers were killed by rollovers while operating tractors along steep slopes. Others have been killed while attempting to tow or pull an excessive load from above axle height, or when cold weather caused the tires to freeze to the ground, in both cases causing the tractor to pivot around the rear axle.

For the ROPS to work as designed, the operator must stay within its protective frame. This means the operator must wear the seat belt; not wearing it may defeat the primary purpose of the ROPS.
As this change was made before the internet much of the history is still in libraries on paper. For a nominal fee I'll research it for you if you need hard proof.

/ Calculating Your Predicted Rollover Angle #57  
Well my first hit from goggle popped up this from wiki.

As this change was made before the internet much of the history is still in libraries on paper. For a nominal fee I'll research it for you if you need hard proof.

Nothing there says product liability to me. Market share & customer preference drove the demise of the narrow front. If it was anything else, production numbers would have abruptly ceased rather than declined to a point where manufacturers lost interest in the late 1970's.

/ Calculating Your Predicted Rollover Angle #58  
Nothing there says product liability to me. Market share & customer preference drove the demise of the narrow front. If it was anything else, production numbers would have abruptly ceased rather than declined to a point where manufacturers lost interest in the late 1970's.
Now you’re just being contrary to stir up an argument. You don't think that any tractor manufacturer ever sent out a press release saying "Stop using all those narrow front end tractors we sold you. They are unsafe!!”? It would give too many widows and their lawyers a heads up.
Farmers are a stubborn bunch and when JD introduced ROPS systems in the sixties they didn't sell well and JD released their patents on it to let other competitors offer them, but it took a long time to catch on. You can still find people debating the need and risking their lives.
Keep the wheels pointed down and have a happy new year.

/ Calculating Your Predicted Rollover Angle #59  
Are you interested in a tricycle type tractor? I don't think those are made by anyone these days?

Tricycle type tractors were popular with farmers because of front mounted equipment, especially corn pickers and cultivators, were mounted that way. I miss the front mounted cultivator. It was easier to watch your work, more controllable, and as a result you were less likely to plow out your crop. Oh well, that's progress.

Tricycles are almost impossible to operate in muddy conditions and are less stable at higher speeds. I wouldn't drive one today except with a cultivator or other front mounted equipment.

/ Calculating Your Predicted Rollover Angle #60  
Tricycle type tractors were popular with farmers because of front mounted equipment, especially corn pickers and cultivators, were mounted that way. I miss the front mounted cultivator. It was easier to watch your work, more controllable, and as a result you were less likely to plow out your crop. Oh well, that's progress.

Tricycles are almost impossible to operate in muddy conditions and are less stable at higher speeds. I wouldn't drive one today except with a cultivator or other front mounted equipment.

Even with 3pt mounted cultivators you could cultivate later into the season. Without the (low) wide-front axles, you can cultivate corn that is much taller. You're right that the mounted were easier to keep on track though, and also didn't take out crop on curved rows...