camping

/ camping #21  
Since its been a few years.....these tips might come in handy.......

When using a public campground, a tuba placed on your picnic table will keep the campsites on either side vacant.
Get even with a bear who raided your food bag by kicking his favorite stump apart and eating all the ants.
Old socks can be made into high fiber beef jerky by smoking them over an open fire.
When smoking a fish, never inhale.
A hot rock placed in your sleeping bag will keep your feet warm. A hot enchilada works almost as well, but the cheese sticks between your toes.
The best backpacks are named for national parks or mountain ranges. Steer clear of those named for landfills.
Acupuncture was invented by a camper who found a porcupine in his sleeping bag.
While the Swiss Army Knife has been popular for years, the Swiss Navy Knife has remained largely unheard of. Its single blade functions as a tiny canoe paddle.
Effective January 1, 1997, you will actually have to enlist in the Swiss Army to get a Swiss Army Knife.
Lint from your navel makes a handy fire starter. Warning: Remove lint from navel before applying the match.
You'll never be lost if you remember that moss always grows on the north side of your compass.
You can duplicate the warmth of a down-filled bedroll by climbing into a plastic garbage bag with several geese.
When camping, always wear a long-sleeved shirt. It gives you something to wipe your nose on.
You can compress the diameter of your rolled up sleeping bag by running over it with your car.
Take this simple test to see if you qualify for solo camping. Shine a flashlight into one ear. If the beam shines out the other ear, do not go into the woods alone.
A two-man pup tent does not include two men or a pup.
A potato baked in the coals for one hour makes an excellent side dish. A potato baked in the coals for three hours makes an excellent hockey puck.
You can start a fire without matches by eating Mexican food, then breathing on a pile of dry sticks.
In emergency situations, you can survive in the wilderness by shooting small game with a slingshot made from the elastic waistband of your underwear.
The guitar of the noisy teenager at the next campsite makes excellent kindling.
The sight of a bald eagle has thrilled campers for generations. The sight of a bald man, however, does absolutely nothing for the eagle.
Its entirely possible to spend your whole vacation on a winding mountain road behind a large motor home.
Bear bells provide an element of safety for hikers in grizzly country. The tricky part is getting them on the bears.
A great deal of hostility can be released by using newspaper photos of politicians for toilet paper.
In an emergency, a drawstring from a parka hood can be used to strangle a snoring tent mate.

/ camping #22  
jerrybob
pretty good :)

I have a cot that has air mattress attached to it with a bag sown to cot to keep everything in place, it's by Coleman, which is great. Have used the queen blow up and learned about how the cold comes up from ground :(

Dave

/ camping #23  
Back in the late 70's and several times through the 80's I traveled the US on my bikes/trikes across rural and back country roads, with only my pack, sleeping bag and pup tent. Had a great time rough camping then and on a couple of my more fortuitous treks had as many as 3 others spending time with me in my tent :wink::licking::wink:.
Now, however, my idea of rough camping is staying at a hotel/motel that doesn't have a hot tub! :thumbsup:

/ camping #24  

Self inflating (Thermerest) mattresses: Let them inflate for a few minutes and then pressurize them with your mouth while closing the valve. They will be much more comfortable.

Pick-up truck and cap: Ya, did this. Very inconvenient in the rain. I started using a van. You can go fr the drivers seat to the sleeping area and stay dry! Thin foam on the floor, then plywood cut to shape. Rug on top. Still use a sleeping pad though. Sometimes substitue a sleeping bag for the pad. Insulate and panel the walls and ceiling. Even in the winter you'll wake up warm. The inside temp will be 10-20 deg above the outside air temp just from your body heat.

/ camping #25  
give a holler; can take you sailing :D We're east of sacramento, but sail out of club in richmond

thanks for all the camping tips. right now it looks like i'm going to end up staying on the farm which is what i really wanted. my son (who's 29 going on 17)hasn't had any crime problems living in oakland but he has nothing much worth stealing.