Can 3038e rear tires be flipped or a widening kit added?

/ Can 3038e rear tires be flipped or a widening kit added? #11  
And it's easier to lift a wheel than you think. I've done it on a road across a slope where the lower track was a bit washed out. And I have filled tires and keep the FEL low. I have learned that if you must cross a slope, you go really slow so that you have time to react. Dropping the bucket and anything on the 3ph gives you time if necessary to plan your way out.

But I'm still going for spacers. I see the comments about multi-position with R-1 tires. I have R1 Ag tires and the hubs are single position - as indicated in my 3038e manual. I've found several good vendors selling 2 and 4 inch spaces for the 3038.

/ Can 3038e rear tires be flipped or a widening kit added?
Thanks DKC. Really makes me think twice about this tractor as there are quite a few hills just on my 5acres that I mow. Let us know if you do get the spacers.

A few pics of the one that I am looking at.

Attachments

• image-1441727754.jpg
    image-1441727754.jpg
    648.5 KB · Views: 335
  • image-3655024464.jpg
    image-3655024464.jpg
    520.8 KB · Views: 416
  • image-2592950649.jpg
    image-2592950649.jpg
    613.3 KB · Views: 214
   / Can 3038e rear tires be flipped or a widening kit added? #13  
Ed:
Pictures would indicate it's a nice clean tractor. Hills are a concern with any compact tractor. The tractor is narrow, no question. But I have tried CUTs from all the major manufacturers and not found appreciable differences. The only way you can get a wider tractor is to go to bigger tractors. If you have a budget, that means older tractors, since bigger JD or any other brand cost a lot more. My last tractor before this 3038e was a JD 2030 from 1974. With 65 hp it was a 2WD unit that was a foot wider and a lot heavier. I rarely had any "pucker factor" using it on my slopes - although you always have to be careful about holes, stumps and such. And it had no ROPS. I traded down to a CUT because I was having increasing difficulties leveraging my almost 70 yr old frame up on the bigger tractor all the time. The CUT is much better for that. The CUT smaller width is a positive for going in and out of my forest because it slips through smaller spaces.

If I were you, I'd consider what you want to do with the tractor. If you are just mowing 5 acres, you may do better with a ATV or lawn tractor and a field mower. It would take longer but be immune to most normal slope worries. If you will be doing other work and want a tractor, I'd look at either CUTs or an old utility tractor. I wouldn't let the CUT width alone drive me to a big tractor. Talk to some folks around where you live who have land similar to yours. They might be able to reassure you about a CUT, or direct you to a bigger tractor. As I indicated before, you can do some slope work if you are slow and careful. While I have lifted a wheel, I continue to use the tractor because I really don't think I'll go over if I'm careful. Cutting up and down steep hills is a given - with any tractor. And remember that a cutter is pretty heavy and - kept close to the ground - lowers your center of gravity. I also filled my tires to give me greater stability.

I do regret not going with the 3520 or a slightly larger JD instead of the 3038e, but I let the additional $5K scare me off. Those tractors are almost identical in width but weigh more (2000 # versus 2900#) and have heavier hydraulics. For some of the things I do I'd like that extra weight and power. They are heavier, but their center of gravity is probably not that much lower than the smaller tractor, so I doubt they would be all that much more stable.

I think the spacers are the way to go for me.

But do ask folks around where you live. You may find out some things that make your decision easier.

/ Can 3038e rear tires be flipped or a widening kit added? #14  
If you're going strictly by the sales brochure spec sheet, the standard tires are
Front
7.00-14 4PR (R1) Agricultural
Rear
11.2-24 4PR (R1) Agricultural
Whereas the fronts are still 2 position, the rears will be 8 position. It's spelled out in the owner manual.
Only when you purchase the optional R3 or R4 tires/rims are you stuck with 2 position rears. At that point spacers are definitely in order. In addition to ballasting and flipping all four of mine, I added a pair of 4-inchers on the rear and 2.5-inchers on the front.

//greg//

If you pull up the 3038e operator's manual, it does state the rear wheels do not have multiple positions (I copied from the manual in one of my previous posts...you might want to read that post or go on the Deere site and read the 3038 manual).
Your 3720 rears do have multiple positions, but the thread is about the 3038.

/ Can 3038e rear tires be flipped or a widening kit added? #15  
That sucks. First I've heard of a Cat1 tractor that put R1 rear tires on dish-type rims. With only 1.5" difference between minimum and maximum width, it's clearly not the 8-position rim. I've deleted the inaccurate post.

//greg//

/ Can 3038e rear tires be flipped or a widening kit added? #16  
That sucks. First I've heard of a Cat1 tractor that put R1 rear tires on dish-type rims. With only 1.5" difference between minimum and maximum width, it's clearly not the 8-position rim. I've deleted the inaccurate post.

//greg//

Yeah, does suck!
I don't believe the 3038 (or 3032) have offseat PTO capability either.

However, they are relatively inexpensive tractors and for someone looking to do specifics tasks (snow removal, mowing), I reckon they're a good tractor...just limited in some capabilities.