Can I expect trouble ??

/ Can I expect trouble ?? #1  

blueriver

Tractor
JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super A Montana 5720C
I have some laminated floor joist they are 3" x 14" x 27'6" long they have 3/4 plywood on each side with inch and 1/2 material inside ... or 3" wide. I do not know what else is on the inside like webbing or the such.

I am thinking about putting a lean too on the side of my hay shed 12-14'... and using these as the top plates (headers) knotched into the poles (on the outside wall of the lean too)

2x6 rafters 4'0" O.C. then 2x4 purlins layed flat and galvalume ... think they will clear span the 27'6" and support the roof? 3 of these will get me the 80' length... just 4 poles along the side.

/ Can I expect trouble ?? #2  
Sounds like they should be fine. You might want to use a 2x6 on the top of them for some stability in the other dimension, like a top plate for any framed wall. I guess that there's no snow load there or very little, just build a decent overhang to keep them dry.

/ Can I expect trouble ??
Sounds like they should be fine. You might want to use a 2x6 on the top of them for some stability in the other dimension, like a top plate for any framed wall. I guess that there's no snow load there or very little, just build a decent overhang to keep them dry.

The 2x6 is a good idea. I was thinking a stub 2x4 every 4' to nail the rafter to that should help with the stabilty because of the exsisting barn...the 2x6 plate and put a birds mouth on the rafter would probably be better ... I planned on having the roof metal overhang about 12"