Case 275 (Mitsubishi)

/ Case 275 (Mitsubishi) #1  

mbarber84

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere
Hello all, I’m working on a Case 275 which I know to be a Mitsubishi (MT300D I believe). The charging system was putting out 16-17 volts depending on engine rpm. I assumed it was a bad regulator so I ordered a new one. The new one is different than the old one but the wiring all looks to be the same (same color coded wires in 6 pin plug). When I install the new one and run the tractor, the system isn’t charging at all and the charge light is on on the instrument panel. What am I missing?
IMG_4472.jpg

IMG_4473.jpg

/ Case 275 (Mitsubishi) #2  
Hello all, I’m working on a Case 275 which I know to be a Mitsubishi (MT300D I believe). The charging system was putting out 16-17 volts depending on engine rpm. I assumed it was a bad regulator so I ordered a new one. The new one is different than the old one but the wiring all looks to be the same (same color coded wires in 6 pin plug). When I install the new one and run the tractor, the system isn’t charging at all and the charge light is on on the instrument panel. What am I missing?View attachment 742053
View attachment 742054

Nice, the new one is a solidstate version.

You mentioned the colored wires match for the connector with each terminal to the old one, right?

What about the single lead wire with the butt connector end. Does this align with another loose wire to attach onto?

Was this VR a VR-450, 500 or a 550? I only ask because the Ford 1000 Series, Shibarura, Mitsubishi and Yanmar machines all use these same type of VRs. Only the VR models are different.

The VR-550 layout for the 6-terminals are:
VR-550.jpg

** Looking at top of original regulator you will see terminals Left to Right IG, A, F, L, N.
** Looking at the VR-550 plug- terminals facing you, narrow end (notches at the top) of plug up- Upper left to right - N, A, L, Lower left to right E, F, IG. " E"- Is attached to ground post on alternator.

Many of these VRs were used in automotive Mazdas, Datsans, Toyotas, Mitsubishs and Nissans back in the 70s and early 80s. The OE manufacture was Hitachi and Nippon-Denso.

These new solidstate VRs run about $8 to $20 on Amazon. All States (ASAP has it listed for $18 right now.)

Replaces Hitachi Mfg nos TL1A-86, TL1Z-61D, TL1Z-86
Mechanical Voltage Regulator
UNIT TYPE: HITACHI
VOLTAGE: 12
SET POINT: 14.3
TERMINAL ID: STATOR-AUXILIARY-LIGHT-GROUND-FIELD-IGNITION
POLARITY: NEGATIVE
INCLUDES BRUSH HOLDER?: NO
ACTIVATION: IGNITION
ADJUSTABLE?: NO
CIRCUIT TYPE: B-CIRCUIT
INCLUDES RECTIFIER?: NO
INCLUDES TOLERANCE RING?: NO
APPLICATION: HITACHI ALTERNATORS

/ Case 275 (Mitsubishi)
Nice, the new one is a solidstate version.

You mentioned the colored wires match for the connector with each terminal to the old one, right?

What about the single lead wire with the butt connector end. Does this align with another loose wire to attach onto?

Was this VR a VR-450, 500 or a 550? I only ask because the Ford 1000 Series, Shibarura, Mitsubishi and Yanmar machines all use these same type of VRs. Only the VR models are different.

The VR-550 layout for the 6-terminals are:
View attachment 742108

** Looking at top of original regulator you will see terminals Left to Right IG, A, F, L, N.
** Looking at the VR-550 plug- terminals facing you, narrow end (notches at the top) of plug up- Upper left to right - N, A, L, Lower left to right E, F, IG. " E"- Is attached to ground post on alternator.

Many of these VRs were used in automotive Mazdas, Datsans, Toyotas, Mitsubishs and Nissans back in the 70s and early 80s. The OE manufacture was Hitachi and Nippon-Denso.

These new solidstate VRs run about $8 to $20 on Amazon. All States (ASAP has it listed for $18 right now.)

Replaces Hitachi Mfg nos TL1A-86, TL1Z-61D, TL1Z-86
Mechanical Voltage Regulator
UNIT TYPE: HITACHI
VOLTAGE: 12
SET POINT: 14.3
TERMINAL ID: STATOR-AUXILIARY-LIGHT-GROUND-FIELD-IGNITION
POLARITY: NEGATIVE
INCLUDES BRUSH HOLDER?: NO
ACTIVATION: IGNITION
ADJUSTABLE?: NO
CIRCUIT TYPE: B-CIRCUIT
INCLUDES RECTIFIER?: NO
INCLUDES TOLERANCE RING?: NO
APPLICATION: HITACHI ALTERNATORS

Thanks so much for the reply! Here is the one I bought:
IMG_4486.png

/ Case 275 (Mitsubishi)
I left the farm for today but when I get back I will take a closer look at the parts I have. When I plugged the new one in, the tractor acted like there was nothing connected. It immediately triggered the charging light on the dash and there was no charge active on the batter (just battery voltage at approximately 12.4-12.7V)

/ Case 275 (Mitsubishi) #5  
There isn't much to go on with the IH Case p/n's. They mask the real Mitsubishi p/n's.

The closest old style VR I could find a match to is this model.
1650153563477.png

The B-Circuit is the most common as it's listed for Mitsubishi. Now the pinouts are shown below in the 3 solidstate models.

really matters because of the wire terminal pinouts are different. The solidstate in your first post aligns with the VR-1227 as shown below.

1650153706031.png

1650153737827.png

/ Case 275 (Mitsubishi)
There isn't much to go on with the IH Case p/n's. They mask the real Mitsubishi p/n's.

The closest old style VR I could find a match to is this model.
View attachment 742115

The B-Circuit is the most common as it's listed for Mitsubishi. Now the pinouts are shown below in the 3 solidstate models.

really matters because of the wire terminal pinouts are different. The solidstate in your first post aligns with the VR-1227 as shown below.

View attachment 742116
View attachment 742117

Ok I will get more info tomorrow when I’m back at the shop. I really appreciate whatever help you can give me! I thought I had this figured out but apparently there’s far more to it than I realized.

/ Case 275 (Mitsubishi)
[mention]bmaverick [/mention] I’m looking at the two regulators now. Both have a six pin wiring harness. Both have identical wiring. Colors all match, and locations all match on the harness plug. There is no identifiable marking letters on the pin locations but the wire colors are the same, and they’re in the same locations. There is also no part number on the original regulator that i can find.

Also, from what I can tell, there is no place to plug that blue connector wire to on the tractor. It seems like it was unconnected on the original.