Case 4x4 garden tractor. for real?

/ Case 4x4 garden tractor. for real? #1  

ArlyA

Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
Found on WI facebook market. Is this something case made or home project?
-----------------------------------------
Listing for my dad. Please call with questions. 715 three two five 2810. Case 4x4 garden tractor, runs great, 54 inch snow-dirt blade, hydraulic steering, lift and drive, with hi low rear ends, mower with electric start, pictured in the new Jensales calendar asking 6800 obo
1702411842701.jpeg
1702411842546.jpeg

Attachments

• 1702411842654.jpeg
    1702411842654.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 41
   / Case 4x4 garden tractor. for real? #2  
Back in the early 1970s, Case made an unusual garden tractor in that it had a gas Kohler engine driving a hydraulic pump that ran the tractor. Because of the hydraulic drive, it was easier to DIY convert into articulating 4x4 tractors than trying to convert an all gear drive garden tractor to 4x4.

/ Case 4x4 garden tractor. for real? #4  
Found on WI facebook market. Is this something case made or home project?
-----------------------------------------
Listing for my dad. Please call with questions. 715 three two five 2810. Case 4x4 garden tractor, runs great, 54 inch snow-dirt blade, hydraulic steering, lift and drive, with hi low rear ends, mower with electric start, pictured in the new Jensales calendar asking 6800 oboView attachment 837821View attachment 837819
They are home-built. Do a google search for "case articulated garden tractor" and you'll see a bunch of them. Pretty neat.

/ Case 4x4 garden tractor. for real? #6  
At the time these and other competing garden tractors were being built, 16hp was top of the line. Not sure which engines these had, but the Kohler K series engines in the 1970s had large, heavy flywheels for torque. And this was also before manufacturers started making outlandish HP claims for small gas engines.

These were premium garden tractors back then that likely were negatively impacted by late 1970s costs and early 1980s economic malaise.

/ Case 4x4 garden tractor. for real? #7  
Looks like a pre-PowerTrac Power Trac.
6800 seems a bit steep for something that small which you almost certainly can't get parts for. Parts will need to be universal or custom. It's certainly neat though

/ Case 4x4 garden tractor. for real? #8  
I owned one in 2wd actually and it was a neat unit. Had a mid mount deck that was belt drive to the center spindle and drive shaft to the outboards. Had a big Kohler single in it and the hydraulic pump was mounted just behind the front grill with a miserable over center snap clutch arrangement. Wish I still had it actually, pretty neat little tractor. If I remember right, the final drive shared the oil with the hydraulic pump.

/ Case 4x4 garden tractor. for real? #9  
Kohler K series big singles were torque monsters and still are. I have one (K241) that drives my Lincoln ac/dc weld and power portable welder. Sweet engine. Big thumper with a very distinctive sound.

/ Case 4x4 garden tractor. for real? #10  
I started a similar thread months ago. There’s several for sale. I actually thought this thing was pretty amazing for $1600 OBO

1702429668397.png