Case 580C Question

/ Case 580C Question #1  

alwaysLearning

Tractor
Case 580C G207D
Hello,

I own a Case 580C with a mechanical shuttle control. The engine runs fine and will hold steady RPM's when put in gear but tractor will barely crawl??? Never had that problem before?? All fluid levels are good. There is no noise at all when trying to move it. Tires just barely move???

Any Idea's out there??

Thanks a bunch!!

CK

/ Case 580C Question #3  
Hello & WELCOME to TractorByNet.com! :)

I have moved your thread to the Parts/Repairs Forum. You'll get a better response there. ;)

/ Case 580C Question #4  
Do you have a torque convertor or standard clutch?

/ Case 580C Question #5  
BXpanded is right.
We need more info before we can help you.
All the 580C's had a mechanical shuttle 'control', in that there was a lever on the left side of the steering column that attached to linkage to change the shuttle from forward to reverse whether the shuttle was gear drive or hydraulic.
What we really need to know is, is the shuttle itself gear drive or hydraulic.

If it's gear drive, it sounds like you have a bad clutch. There's also the possibility that you could have sheared the bolts holding the ring gear to the carrier in the differential. This usually results in no movement at all, though I have seen one or two incidents where the machine would try and move.

If the shuttle is a hydraulic shuttle, you could have a bad torque convertor. You could have a bad transmission pump. You could have clutch packs slipping. You could have a bad planetary inside the shuttle. It could be something in the hydraulic shuttle control valve.

More info please.

Mark

/ Case 580C Question #6  
I think the 580c has a torque converter. I'm not sure if it uses a charge pump or not though. I think the TC and the gear box are two separate units connected with a small driveshaft. It's been some time since I've looked at one though so I could be wrong.

/ Case 580C Question
Thanks for the replies. Sorry to have not gotten back sooner... All I know about this machine is that it is not the power shuttle model..It is considered the mechanical shuttle model according to the manual.It has a dual range control and the power shuttle model does not..The machines serial # is: 9010881

Thanks again!

/ Case 580C Question
I was able to contact the Case Construction Customer Assistance Center and they ran my serial number and told me I had a 1980 model and it has a dry clutch. When I put it in gear on a slight incline it wants to just barely move. The engines tach holds steady whether in gear or out???

Thanks again for any help!!

/ Case 580C Question #9  
I'd start with adjusting the free play for the clutch pedal. If there's no freeplay in the pedal, the linkage can be holding the release bearing against the pressure plate, allowing the disc to slip.

If there's free play in the clutch pedal, my bet would be that you have a bad clutch. You'll need to remove the shuttle, replace the clutch disc, pressure plate and release bearing and probably need to have the flywheel dressed.

Mark

/ Case 580C Question
Thank you very much Mark! I will check into it and submit a post when I get the problem fixed......