Case IH 245 cannot shift

/ Case IH 245 cannot shift #1  

djuser

Tractor
case
(235/245 3cyl diesel Mitsubishi?) I was plowing snow and going back and forth from 2nd to Reverse often. Also pulling a blade in 3rd. (Range Medium). After about an hour, shifting down left for Reverse started "missing" and staying in N or 3rd. Then later got stuck in Reverse. Eventually it doesn't shift at all. I can move the handle up/down a bit with effort but not the normal "H" (1,2,3,R)action and doesn't shift into a gear like normal. When I release clutch the engine just slows/stalls. I'm able to roll the tractor with engine off with range lever in start/neutral, but makes a ticking noise while towing/rolling. That noise goes away with the clutch depressed. Hydraulics work. Any ideas? Thanks

Last edited:
   / Case IH 245 cannot shift
I did check oil and was half quart low, hydraulic fluid full. Added oil and it does start and engine runs fine. Maybe shift linkage? transmission? Thanks!

/ Case IH 245 cannot shift #4  
I don't know your tractor but it could be your shift linkage. The tractor may be in two gears at once. Something could have slipped or broken inside the transmission itself.