Cat vs. Fiat notes

/ Cat vs. Fiat notes #1  

cannuck

Tractor
M-F 1440
We have a fair bit of earth moving to do to turn unbroken land into site for shop and home, roads, etc. First thing I bought was a D5H with a 6 way blade, then later a 941 track loader - that turned out to have cracked block. I need the tracked machine this summer, and no time to convert to the D330 sitting on the ground beside it, so when a Fiat-Allis FL10C came up, I grabbed it.

Originally, I did not want Cat for several reasons, but the ability to support older equipment aftermarket and resell when done was the attraction. The 941 is a brute of a ball breaker from an earlier time and to drive it you always seem to be fighting the darn thing. The Fiat is based on their model 10 crawler that is quite popular in Europe so took a chance. It IS newer than the 941, but the difference in operating experience is dramatic. EVERYTHING is powered, and when you start to steer one way (pedal steering) it dissengages drive and immediately starts going that way. My wife could drive this thing! Another not so small thing: the 941 bucket tilt is fixed to arms whereas the FL10 uses correcting geometry to keep it at same angle. Only downside: my Cats use Group 31 batteries but the Fiat uses Group 4D.

/ Cat vs. Fiat notes #2  
A pair of group 24 batteries will easily fit in place of a Group 4D,
often the 4D tray even has room for a pair of 31's.

/ Cat vs. Fiat notes
Thought of that, but the batteries live in an extremely crowded cell underneath the operator's seat. Also not having time to pull out the cabling and re-terminate. Want to use original hold-down (as a high amp short could occur within a couple inches of my arse - or more to the point my grandson who will no doubt be operating this thing - as 941 takes more force than he can muster yet).