Dirt Moving Cat1 vs. Cat2

/ Cat1 vs. Cat2 #1  

mcfarms

Tractor
John Deere 2305, 200CX FEL, 52" JD Quick Hitch power broom.
I have a 2305 with the standard limited Cat1 3 pt hitch. A friend of mine has larger JD with a Cat2 hitch. He has a 72" york rake/blade combo unit that he said I could borrow to work on my road with if I wanted to. Is this something that is possible? What is the difference between cat1 and cat2? I realize that a 72" is big for my little guy, but I wanted to know if this was a had idea since it will not be using the PTO.

/ Cat1 vs. Cat2 #2  
I have a 2305 with the standard limited Cat1 3 pt hitch. A friend of mine has larger JD with a Cat2 hitch. He has a 72" york rake/blade combo unit that he said I could borrow to work on my road with if I wanted to. Is this something that is possible? What is the difference between cat1 and cat2? I realize that a 72" is big for my little guy, but I wanted to know if this was a had idea since it will not be using the PTO.

images

Cat 1

images

Cat 2

The difference is in the size of the pins
Category Tractor HP Top Link Pin Diameter Lift Arm Pin Diameter
0 Up to 20 5⁄8 in 5⁄8 in
1 20 to 45 3⁄4 in 7⁄8 in
2 40 to 100 1 in 1⅛ in
3 80 to 225 1シ in 1 7⁄16 in
4 180 to 400 and up 1 3⁄4 in 2 in

/ Cat1 vs. Cat2
Ok, so the pins for the Cat2 implement will not fit the Cat1. I guess that settles that! :) Thanks so much!!

/ Cat1 vs. Cat2 #4  
not so sure without knowing what pins are on his rake.
there is a very good chance he has cat 1 pins on the rake, with bushings to
fit the larger hitch of his cat 2 tractor. i don't normally see landscape rakes
with cat 2 pins.
but, the bigger issue may be lift height with the 2305. with standard rakes and
rear blades on some sub compacts you can't get the implement off the ground very
much. there are many "limited category 1" implements out there now that are designed
to fit the sub compacts.
check with your friend, and see what size his pins are, and you may find the rake might
fit right on your hitch and work well for doing some light work.

/ Cat1 vs. Cat2 #5  
OR, you could buy some Cat1 pins and replace the Cat II pins, a simple bolt on connection. With an impact gun, it would be a 5 minute job or even a socket with ratchet. Sure a little bit of work, but not a lot of dollars for 2 lift pins.

/ Cat1 vs. Cat2 #7  
OR, you could buy some Cat1 pins and replace the Cat II pins, a simple bolt on connection. With an impact gun, it would be a 5 minute job or even a socket with ratchet. Sure a little bit of work, but not a lot of dollars for 2 lift pins.

I agree with Gary on this.
A rake is something you can probably handle with your 2305. Might want to mount the pins facing inwards to work on your tractor. Pins are easy to change, just a matter of whether you can fit this up and lift it high enough.

/ Cat1 vs. Cat2 #8  
not so sure without knowing what pins are on his rake.
there is a very good chance he has cat 1 pins on the rake, with bushings to
fit the larger hitch of his cat 2 tractor. i don't normally see landscape rakes
with cat 2 pins.
but, the bigger issue may be lift height with the 2305. with standard rakes and
rear blades on some sub compacts you can't get the implement off the ground very
much. there are many "limited category 1" implements out there now that are designed
to fit the sub compacts.
check with your friend, and see what size his pins are, and you may find the rake might
fit right on your hitch and work well for doing some light work.

Well said. I too would be concerned about the ability to lift it high enough. I use a 5' CAT I box blade on my JD2210 and can lift it fine. Not so sure about a yard rake.

I guess first I'd wanna know if his pins are CAT I on the rake and then how wide apart the lower arm pins are on the rake. The rest you can probably overcome.

I have NO doubt the 2305 will handle the rake just fine.

/ Cat1 vs. Cat2
Wow...great info here! Thank you all! I'm gunna speak with my buddy about the pins he uses and take it from here. Hope to buy a box blade for myself in the near future.

/ Cat1 vs. Cat2 #10  
Sorry had inverse logic. :)