CAV DPA 3248F441 fuel pump problem? Or fuel filter issue? Bobcat 974

/ CAV DPA 3248F441 fuel pump problem? Or fuel filter issue? Bobcat 974 #1  

mcwussow

Tractor
974 Bobcat
Hello,

I have a 974 Bobact skid steer. Fuel ran low and started having problems with power. Now I can’t get it started. Appears to be a fuel issue. After hand pumping, bleeding the air, cracking the lines to the injectors, turning over the motor, tightening the lines to the injectors, I can get it to fire and run for a couple seconds and then it dies.

CAV DPA 3248F441 fuel pump

I removed the cover on the priming pump and cleaned the screen.
Fuel seems to pump by hand just fine over to the fuel filters
I changed the fuel filters.
I removed the fuel pump opened the cover and cleaned. Took off the inlet and cleaned and replaced the little filter. The little plunger was not moving that freely. Lightly sanded and cleaned it, then it moved a bit more freely. Resealed.
I can confirm that the lever is moving the metering value (after I put the cover back on the pump)
I also took the fuel line off the tank and put in in a bucket of diesel to try and eliminate an issue with any debris in the line from the tank.

Here are the things I have noticed:

There is very little fuel flow out of the bottom bleed screw (circled in red in the picture) on the pump when I try to bleed the system. Previous when I primed the system a stream of fuel more than a foot long would shoot out. Now it just trickles out. The top bleed screw has good pressure. (is something internal in the pump clogged?)

Fuel Pump.jpg

The inlet for the pump does not seem to be getting fuel from the fuel filter. (circled in blue) If I take the line off the inlet to the fuel pump and manually pump, nothing comes out the line. If I remove the same line from the fuel filter and pump, also nothing comes out. (also circled in blue) Have I done something wrong with the fuel filters? Shouldn’t fuel move from the fuel filter to the fuel pump from the two areas circled in blue…. To me it seems like the fuel is actually flowing in the wrong direction currently....

Fuel Filter.jpg

If anyone could help point me in the right direction to fix this issue I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Mike

/ CAV DPA 3248F441 fuel pump problem? Or fuel filter issue? Bobcat 974 #2  
We answered on the other forum..
Top oring MUST GO UP “IN” the filter head..
NOT “ON” the filter..