Chain oil

/ Chain oil #31  
I was once tempted to use gear oil on a chain saw until I found I still had some bar oil. But, I considered it as I was far from town and needed my chain saw. Anyway, would that have worked for a one time use - understanding it would not likely have the properties to stick to the bar as regular bar oil would. I now make sure I always have a decent amount of bar oil on hand.

/ Chain oil #32  
I was once tempted to use gear oil on a chain saw until I found I still had some bar oil. But, I considered it as I was far from town and needed my chain saw. Anyway, would that have worked for a one time use - understanding it would not likely have the properties to stick to the bar as regular bar oil would. I now make sure I always have a decent amount of bar oil on hand.
The point is to keep it lubed so it doesn't burn up. If the gear oil is a low enough weight to flow through the saw and dispense properly it will probably do the job, just won't stick.
A lot of CSM is done with vegetable oil dripped out on the end of the bar using an auxillary oiler.

/ Chain oil #34  
What's CSM?

My little Ryobi cordless chainsaw's oiler is hopeless. I use a squeeze bottle (had mustard) to oil with.

CSM = Chain Saw Mill

My little B&D cordless chainsaw goes thru oil quickly. My Stihl 660's were so stingy with oil I swapped out the oilers for HO oilers.