Chains on front Ford 2120 turf tires.

/ Chains on front Ford 2120 turf tires. #1  

oldspark

Tractor
Farmall M
I have read many of the posts about chains on the front of 4wd tractors and it has me a little concerned about doing that, I understand it is probably no big deal if you are careful about how you use the tractor. How ever is it a better use of my money if I buy the correct size ag tire (to match up with the rear turf tire) and just install chains on the rear turf tires. That way I have no worrys about the chain issue and I have a better gripping tire on the front. I am thinking the turf tires on the front in the winter will not allow me to steer the tractror very well.

/ Chains on front Ford 2120 turf tires. #2  
Wow.. how do you find ag tires to match with a turf/chain combo? Wouldn't it be easier (if clearances permit) just to put chains on both front and rears? I use chains on the front only, mostly because I'm not sure I have clearance on the rears for chains. I agree that chains on the front only is not the best idea in the world, but having them on both would seem to be a near ideal situation in the snow.

There are also studs that can be installed (and removed in spring) for snow duty. I can't comment on their utility, but it might be worth your while to look into them.

/ Chains on front Ford 2120 turf tires. #3  
I have chains on my fronts only ! Been on them for 3 years, haven't taken them off since putting them on. Where I live they are just as necessary in the dirt/rocks of mountain sides as they are on ice and snow. I never had an issue with them and I have been through all kinds of **** with my TC40DA. Actually without them I'd be tearing chunks of tires off on all the sharp rocks and such. The chains make it a whole new ball game on mountain sides !

I have learned to use the machine with front chains only and prefer it at this point over rear ones, or both. But with that said, I never had chains on both at the same time..... but I imagine that that would probably be the cats *** :thumbsup: Main reason why I don't want chains on my rears is because of the bumpy ride it would cause (depending on the chain design). On the front only it is hardly noticeable. And when pushing snow..... it's nice being able to get just the rear to slide when you need it to ;).

Deflate the fronts you have, put some chains on them, pump em up and get em nice and tight...... no worries ! Go tear up some dirt and ice with that bad boy :licking: I do, all the time. Haven't even had to adjust them once either..... they don't move a bit.

/ Chains on front Ford 2120 turf tires.
Thanks guys, I think I will order the chains (front and back) this weekend.