Chainsaw Sharpeners

/ Chainsaw Sharpeners #11  
Here's what I use: Timberline Chainsaw Sharpener |Sharpen Your Chainsaw

I bought it last spring and only used it for the first time today. It worked *great*. Quick and easy. Each tooth sharpened exactly the same. I don't like the Dremel or electric drill bits because you never get the angle just right. And it's difficult to use an electric sharpener out in the field.

From just the pictures it looks clumsy and time consuming. On dial-up and have called up the video. I will be a hard sell though. I use one of the clamp on jigs that sets all the angles for the file. Takes about 10 minutes per 20" loop counting the set up time. Results in every tooth identical and no need to payi any attention at all except to advance the chain.

I don't like electric grinders - too easy to both overheat a tooth and/or grind too much.

Harry K

/ Chainsaw Sharpeners #12  
Here's what I use: Timberline Chainsaw Sharpener |Sharpen Your Chainsaw

I bought it last spring and only used it for the first time today. It worked *great*. Quick and easy. Each tooth sharpened exactly the same. I don't like the Dremel or electric drill bits because you never get the angle just right. And it's difficult to use an electric sharpener out in the field.

From just the pictures it looks clumsy and time consuming. On dial-up and have called up the video. I will be a hard sell though. I use one of the clamp on jigs that sets all the angles for the file. Takes about 10 minutes per 20" loop counting the set up time. Results in every tooth identical and no need to payi any attention at all except to advance the chain.

I don't like electric grinders - too easy to both overheat a tooth and/or grind too much.

Harry K

/ Chainsaw Sharpeners #13  
I use one of the clamp on jigs that sets all the angles for the file. Takes about 10 minutes per 20" loop counting the set up time.

That's basically what this is. The burr is tapered at the tip and the angles are set. The device clamps on to the bar and it's made of a solid piece of aluminum. Took me about 10 minutes to get a sharp chain, so about the same as what you're using. (Also 20" bar)

/ Chainsaw Sharpeners #14  
You say, how do you know if you picked the right angle to begin with...well if the saw goes straight through the log you are cutting, you're good to go. If it curves to one side, your angle was a little too aggressive on that side and the bar through the log accordingly.

My log splitter doesn't care if the cut was perfectly straight. All the logs burn the same no matter what the ends look like. :stirthepot:

BTW, the $10 Dremel kit has an angle gauge. Maybe you won't get exactly the same angle every time but you certainly get the angles to within a few degrees and you get it to where the blade cuts like new. I get it though, many guys just like to have top-of-the-line tools. Me, I prefer to spend that extra money on something that gives a better ROI.

/ Chainsaw Sharpeners #15  
Very true...it all burns the same. Main thing to remember with chainsaws...mind the gap...don't get pinched!

/ Chainsaw Sharpeners #16  
I really like the dremel tool also plus the diamond rotary files from e-bay. Its about all I have been using for the last ten years or so