Changed fuel filter - now won’t start

/ Changed fuel filter - now won’t start #1  

Black Acreage

Tractor
John Deere 2155
1989 John Deere 2155.

Newb here. Changed the fuel filter and tried starting without priming/bleeding (stupid I now know) - definitely put air in the lines. Have since bled it by loosening the nut above the filter (blue circle), and manually pumping until fuel shoots out the top. Then re-tightened the bolt. But can’t get it to turnover. Every time I try a bit of smoke comes out of the area pictured (red circle). Don’t know if there some other area you should be bleeding it, or if there’s a better order of operations, or what. Little help please :(

Attachments

• 1F8E3075-C474-43A7-9767-3F2E1C3BBA4A.jpeg
    1F8E3075-C474-43A7-9767-3F2E1C3BBA4A.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 96
   / Changed fuel filter - now won’t start #2  
Is your battery dead?

/ Changed fuel filter - now won’t start #3  
1989 John Deere 2155.

Newb here. Changed the fuel filter and tried starting without priming/bleeding (stupid I now know) - definitely put air in the lines. Have since bled it by loosening the nut above the filter (blue circle), and manually pumping until fuel shoots out the top. Then re-tightened the bolt. But can’t get it to turnover. Every time I try a bit of smoke comes out of the area pictured (red circle). Don’t know if there some other area you should be bleeding it, or if there’s a better order of operations, or what. Little help please :(

Not sure about the blue circle but the red circle looks like it might be your starter. If you have smoke coming from it then that is not a good sign. Might need to replace the starter.

To bleed the fuel lines is pretty straight forward and there are lots of threads and videos that explain how to do that. Just do a search.

Hope this helps!!

/ Changed fuel filter - now won’t start #4  
The red circle looks to be the starter solenoid area. Make sure the cables are tight. Maybe the solenoid is on its last leg????

/ Changed fuel filter - now won’t start #6  
Is it possible that you got diesel fuel in the starter solenoid and it is smoking due to the contact heat?

/ Changed fuel filter - now won’t start #7  
1989 John Deere 2155.

You probably overheated the starter by too long cranking times trying to start an engine that wasn't receiving fuel. I hope you didn't burnup your starter. When it cools, see if it still cranks.
You bled the filter, but you'll need to bleed through to the injectors. Do you have a manual? It will explain how to bleed the system after a filter replacement. You did the fuel filter OK. There may be a bleeder screw on the injection pump (IP). You'll need to open that and crank the engine until fuel without air bubbles comes out. Then close it and go to the injectors on the top of the cylinder head. Loosen the nut without disconnecting it and crank until you see fuel come out without air bubbles. I do them one at a time and by the time I bleed the second one, the engine usually starts.

/ Changed fuel filter - now won’t start #8  
When ever I changed those glass filters like that I always filled the filter with fuel and put it on real quick. You will loose some fuel.