cheap flights

/ cheap flights
i've picked up both of my sons at different times at that greensboro airport. easy to park and no traffic. i guess there's no real bargain fares. was worth a try to ask. now i just have to see how my farm sitter is going to work out. thanks for everyone's help.

/ cheap flights #12  
Roundtrip around $780 straight to Oakland from Greensboro if you can wait till July. To San Francisco from Greensboro at $580 in July as well.

As mentioned, generally if you want the better deals, you have to plan out further than a month when you're looking.

/ cheap flights #13  
Do not forget Southwest they will not show up on Kayak. Below are the dates for the month of June, picking the lower fares dates can safe you $$$. I fly a lot for work about 1week per month and I like Southwest 2 bags are free. Do not forget to look at baggage fees they can add another$100 to the total cost.

Southwest Airlines - Select Travel Day(s)

Last edited:
   / cheap flights #14  
There are several small airlines that will not show up on Kayak or other travel booking sites. Five of us flew from Louisville to Orlando right after Christmas. I would have saved $500 on tickets plus a shorter drive if I had flown Allegent Air from Evansville instead. I didn't know this until after we got home.

Check all airports you might fly from and look at the smaller airlines schedules.

/ cheap flights #15  
We just took a trip out west and had to go by plane. Gawd but I hate to fly.... It is bad enough with the airlines nickle and diming and the cattle car seating but the Security Theater just adds to the PITA of the whole situation.

The wifey and I have only flown four times since the late 90's and only twice since September 11th. Just a PITA. Thankfully, it is cheaper and faster to drive for most of our trips.

Three of our four flights were overbooked by at least six seats and the airline was asking for volunteers to get off the flight. Thankfully, we did not have to sit next to someone on this series of flights that was large and/or smelled. BTDT. :shocked:

When comparing prices, try to compare the total cost of the flight. There were some no so obvious charges in the end that added to the cost of the tickets. I have heard, and you can likely find the answer on the Internet, that there are certain days/times during the work week to order the tickets. Also, check the various ticket sites as well as the airlines for prices. If you are a AAA member, do not forget to check them for ticket prices as well. I can remember when flying was fun...

Good Luck,
Dan

/ cheap flights
these are all great suggestions that are very much appreciated. I remember when i went to college at Northeastern Univ (just 1 year there) i would take the eastern shuttle from logan to laguardia to go home to visit. late 60's.
waiting for my daughter to give birth so I can go there overnight to see my new grandson and have a farm sitter trial run before i take this more extended trip to oakland. she's 5 days past due.

/ cheap flights #17  
Yes flying sucks, been doing it for 35 years for business, it has gotten so bad since 911, long lines, planes packed,heck not even that terrible airline food anymore you are lucky to get a bag of peanuts. I now use 7 hours as a do I drive or fly, if I can get to where I need to go I prefer to drive. Try to get a direct flight because if you miss the connection you are most likely not going onto the next flight because it will be overbooked. The days of a plane that holds 250 people taking off with 50 on board are long gone! Only one more year till retirement, man I can not wait....

/ cheap flights #18  
Yes flying sucks, been doing it for 35 years for business, it has gotten so bad since 911, long lines, planes packed,heck not even that terrible airline food anymore you are lucky to get a bag of peanuts. I now use 7 hours as a do I drive or fly, if I can get to where I need to go I prefer to drive. Try to get a direct flight because if you miss the connection you are most likely not going onto the next flight because it will be overbooked. The days of a plane that holds 250 people taking off with 50 on board are long gone! Only one more year till retirement, man I can not wait....

We were not even offered peanuts. :shocked: Which was fine since I brought my own! :p:laughing::laughing::laughing:

We were offered drinks both free and otherwise. I just bring an empty drinking bottle and fill it up after security.

On one flight, the plane was delayed and when we got to Chicago, we walked from one gate way down to the other gate. We wanted to go to the bathroom but I was insistent that we get to the gate for the next flight and see what was happening. The wifey was not happy with this but when we got to the gate they were already boarding so I am glad I insisted. :)

Later,
Dan

/ cheap flights #19  
If possible, pick a non-US flagged airline. I like koren and thai airlines... good food and service and nice eye candy for flight attendence.

yellow dot

/ cheap flights #20  
Expedia is a good site to start with. Put in your information on where you want to fly out of and where you want to go along with your travel dates. Once you get that information, play around with the days you can travel. Tuesday is a great day to travel to save money, but you really never know until you try every day of the week on what the best day will be.

Lately I've found that Priceline has better prices then Expedia and more options. Multiple stops will sometimes give you a lower price, but it's up to you how long you want to sit around an airport. Round trip is always going to be cheaper then buying one way flights going in each direction.

The farther out you can buy the ticket, the lower the price. Flying next week or even next month means you are going to pay a premium because most of the seats are already taken.

Eddie