check the field before mowing

/ check the field before mowing #11  
I am not a cat person either but I foundly remember an old grey cat that followed me around like a dog when I was a preschooler--she went everywhere with me. I would bet that your dogs would take much faster to a kitten than an adult cat, you would probably be surprised that they might even like a kitten and become close pals, animals do amazing things and often enjoy the company of other critters when mom and dad are away, especially if they are boys and the kitty was a girl. Good luck with your pups. J

/ check the field before mowing #12  
Hi GWS, great looking kittens. I found one in a road one time and had to bring it home. I'm also a dog person but this tiger cat was awesome. Only wanted a few pats in the morning then off hunting he would go. Boy did the mouse population take a hit. He finally turned up missing. We have alot of wildlife around here and we figured a bigger hunter must of got him. To bad!!!/w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif
By the way we had him fixed too!!! Pet owners responsibility thing you know!!!!
Take care and hope they all find good homes.

/ check the field before mowing #13  
Hate to say but most cats in this area end up a bit differently...
Lots of folks will drop off their unwanted city cats out here in the farm land thinking that they will be happier...
They then do start hunting as you said, but the song bird population is effected.. the garden vegees.. chickens in the area, etc. etc.
I do like cats, but.....

Good Luck with those babies though!

Curtis

/ check the field before mowing #14  
A couple of interesting points about feral cats. They are the only animal other than man that kills just for sport. I read an article from the parks and wildlife dept. and the quoted estimates on just how many songbirds they kill a year and it was an eye opener to say the least. Also I am going to try to reintroduce quail on my property. A publication dealing with how to manage habitat said "If you have cats you won't have quail".
Not a cat person either
MIke

/ check the field before mowing #15  
Mike, I wish you luck with re-introducing quail on your property, and wonder how well you'll do. I, too, have heard and read about the number of birds killed by cats, and of course quail nest on the ground. But even if you have no cats, you may have another problem. I've heard that the main reason we have almost no quail at all anymore is that the fire ants have wiped them out. I don't know for sure, but would assume that you have fire ants.

/ check the field before mowing #16  
There are fire ants there but from what I can gather they are not the primary problem. Habitat,food and predators (cotton rats and snakes are a bigger problem). Mississippi State U. has a lot of good information along with Texas Parks and Wildlife I will keep everyone posted. Thanks for the support
Mike