Checking oil properly

/ Checking oil properly #1  

caseyvand

Bronze Member
Hi......I'm wondering what is the proper way to check oil level with a screw down type dipstick. Do you unscrew the dipstick, wipe it clean and push it down as far as it will travel or do you screw it in all the way to its normal closed position.....and then pull it out and take the reading.
Thanks......Casey

/ Checking oil properly #2  
Both of my lawn mowers (one with a Honda engine, the other with a Kawasaki) have screw-down dipsticks. Both owner's manuals say to clean the dipstick, and then insert and remove the dipstick without screwing it in.

I would check your owner's manual. The proper procedure may vary across manufacturers and/or engine models.

Steve

/ Checking oil properly #3  
The Kohler engine in my (old), 1988 JD lawn tractor tells me to put the dip stick on the threads(do not screw in)to check oil level.The Tecumseh on my reletively new DR Field&Brush mower wants me to screw the dip stick back in to check the oil level. Only way to be sure is your owner's manual;hopefully you have one

/ Checking oil properly #4  
I always did push or screw in any dipstick,,as far as owners manuals telling,I believe any owners manual I ever had says to either screw it in or push it in,,