Chemicals and Sprays

/ Chemicals and Sprays #1  

W5FL

Veteran Member
Tractor
TYM T-1104/TX10 Loader Kubota M6800SD/LA1002 Loader Kubota RTV900
It has become bug time in Central Texas. The instructions on most bug chemicals are confusing at best and unclear at the worst.

I spray Diazion from a water hose spray bottle the area within 30 feet of the house and on the porches and on the first 4 ft of outside walls.

I hunted for a chemical called Catalyst to mix and spray inside around the baseboards, but never could find it. Just take the Home Depot premixed indoor sprays and put them in a good pressurized sprayer and use them.

Used Diazion in the orchard and garden (pay attention to directions on time between spraying and harvest) and amount per 1000 sq ft.

Always though Malathon would be better, since that was what the State of California sprays from airplanes for fruit flies, etc.

Bought a propane fogger that uses only it's propriatary (expensive) spray. Have not used it yet, but it is definately time to start.

We are being invaded by grasshoppers now and that will follow with crickets in the fall. Haven't had much luck against either.

If anyone knows of other ways to control bugs other than call an exterminator who will do what I listed in the first two lines, please feel free to comment. Recommended spraying for fruit trees is kinda hit and miss for me.(my spelling of chemicals is not guaranteed)

/ Chemicals and Sprays #2  
Wen, I most frequently use Diazinon 4E, but my ag chemical supplier was out of it, so I bought the 56% Malathion this time. And I used the water hose spray bottle around the house and shop this time. If I'm too far from a water hydrant, or want to spray a little higher, like the trees, I have a 25 gallon, 300 psi max, 3hp Briggs & Stratton powered spray rig. The HyYield Diazinon 4E also has the instructions for mixing for indoor use, including food establishments. It's 44% Diazinon, where the stuff you can buy at Wal-Mart and such places is about 24%, so for indoor use I generally mix it about 1 oz. per gallon, and outdoors use 1.5 to 2 oz. per gallon.

You say you spray the first 4' of the outside walls; I spray under the eaves to keep the wasps and yellow jackets from building nests there. We have a few crickets already, but later when they get thicker, and I spray in the shop, then I have to sweep the dead ones out of the shop every morning for a week or more (of course, I don't use a broom, I use a long wand and blow them out with the air compressor).

Bird