Chimney cleaning Kit.. You must have if you are old than 50...๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

/ Chimney cleaning Kit.. You must have if you are old than 50...๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ #21  
As you can see in the photo, there's no way to clean the SS chimney from the roof, nor would I want to given the steepness (the brick chimney is no longer in use), but there's a cleanout cover on the bottom. I'll just throw a tarp on the ground and use an 8" round brush with fiberglass rods to clean it and all the mess stays outside. Inside pipes come apart easily enough to bring outside, but generally stay relatively creosote-free.

View attachment 842510
That new chimney is impressive! How old is the house and the brick chimney?

All the best,

Peter

/ Chimney cleaning Kit.. You must have if you are old than 50...๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ #22  
I switched to the rotary style drill-based brushes maybe six years ago. They work far better and far easier than the old style brush.

/ Chimney cleaning Kit.. You must have if you are old than 50...๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ #23  
One problem I can see with this style of cleaning is not cleaning the chimney cap. I pull mine off every year and clean it. The screen does get clogged up with soot.

/ Chimney cleaning Kit.. You must have if you are old than 50...๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ #24  
That new chimney is impressive! How old is the house and the brick chimney?
Best as I can determine, the house was built in the 1830s, and I'd imagine the chimney is original to the house, bricks look pretty old. We don't use it anymore...it's not lined and has a couple offsets in it. When we bought the house the oil furnace vented into it, but fumes were getting into the house. New furnace (backup heat source, woodstove is primary) is a power-vent model that exhausts on the back side of the house.

Those 4' SS chimney sections are heavy. The $500 it cost to have it installed was money well spent. Couple of 30-ish guys who did it got quite a workout!
One problem I can see with this style of cleaning is not cleaning the chimney cap. I pull mine off every year and clean it. The screen does get clogged up with soot.
Yeah, I just bang the top of the brush up against the underside of the cap when I'm cleaning, and big chunks of creosote come falling down. Probably more builds up in the cap than in the rest of the chimney.

/ Chimney cleaning Kit.. You must have if you are old than 50...๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ #25  
Just how flexible are these things? I have a stove in the basement that goes into a massive brick chimney. It has about 3 feet of horizontal 8" pipe going into the outside portion of the chimney and then it turns 90 degrees to go vertical for at least 25 feet. I vacuum ashes from the horizontal section every year and have the vertical section swept. The chimney sweep always tells me he really doesn't see any creosote. Would this thing turn 90 degrees in an 8 inch flue?

/ Chimney cleaning Kit.. You must have if you are old than 50...๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘
Just how flexible are these things? I have a stove in the basement that goes into a massive brick chimney. It has about 3 feet of horizontal 8" pipe going into the outside portion of the chimney and then it turns 90 degrees to go vertical for at least 25 feet. I vacuum ashes from the horizontal section every year and have the vertical section swept. The chimney sweep always tells me he really doesn't see any creosote. Would this thing turn 90 degrees in an 8 inch flue?
The rods are very flexible. I believe it will work for the 90-degree pipes.

/ Chimney cleaning Kit.. You must have if you are old than 50...๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ #27  
Neat idea but it wouldn't work on my wood stove as it has bricks and blanket between the burn chamber and pipe opening.

/ Chimney cleaning Kit.. You must have if you are old than 50...๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ #28  
The rods are very flexible. I believe it will work for the 90-degree pipes.
Not the rods I have. They'd bend 90ยฐ if the arc is wide enough, but a straight 90ยฐ corner, no way.