Chains CK30 Chains

/ CK30 Chains #1  

Mark_G

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30 Synchro Shuttle
I have a 2006 CK30 with Titan industrial tires (front 25 X 8.50-14 and rear 15 - 19.5). I think I want the vbar dual grips, but don't see them in these sizes at tirechains.com. I am looking for other suggestions and/or sources.

I am getting stuck and loosing traction more than I would like. I live on a gravel road and drive, will just park it on concrete (in garage) in the winter.

Thanks

/ CK30 Chains #2  
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, contacted tire chains, and no one answers. In the mean time you may want to let out quite a bit of air in the tires. That helped me significantly the last couple of days with this snow storm. I'm not sure what pressure I'm running. Just enough to start to get a buldge in the tire seemed to help.

/ CK30 Chains #3  
I had the same problem. I bought the 2-link ladder in the end and they work so well I'm glad I didn't spend the extra money.

/ CK30 Chains #4  
I also have the two link ladder chains from tirechains.com for my industrial rear tires of my CK30hst. They work great for gravel or pavement. I drop the rears to 20# for Winter. I used to have the duo grip on an older tractor with ag tires. They would stand up on the tread. Industrials don't have as deep or wide of a tread and the ladder chains work great and realy bite in. As arrabil, if you find duo grips for your tires, I don't think the extra money for them will do anything more.

/ CK30 Chains #5  
Victor, did you use wheel spacers? I have the CK25 with the same tires , there's only a little over two inches between the wheel and the fender. I'm not sure that is enough. Tks

/ CK30 Chains #6  
I have the V-bar chains on my CK30 with the industrial tires, don't think they are the dual grips you mentioned. The rears are a B*%$H to put on, next year I am going to put them on before I take the backhoe off so I can get the tires off the ground easier. But with the loaded rear tires... nothing has stopped me yet. :)

/ CK30 Chains
Thank you all for your replies. Is there a need for Chain Tensioners?

Thanks

/ CK30 Chains #9  
Victor, did you use wheel spacers? I have the CK25 with the same tires , there's only a little over two inches between the wheel and the fender. I'm not sure that is enough. Tks

Harvey, No I don't have wheel spacers and the chains don't hit the fenders or even come close enough to worry about. They lay nice on the tires but use tensioners.

As Mousefield mentioned, you will want to have chain tensioners. I probably should have purchased them, the good spring ones, when I bought the chains but instead I use four rubber bungie straps per tire. They are stretched tight and I have no problem at full speed in high range but the spring tensioners would be the best way to go for durability. I tried the cheaper way and even though it works for now, I'll be getting the good ones because the rubber will give way sooner or later.

Each chain weighs about 90# and are a pain to install. I jack up the rear of the tractor and drap the chain from the top of the tire letting it hang down. Then roll the tire to a point where I can work the ends. Attach the inside and then fight with the outside to make them as tight as I can. As ILXR8 mentioned, they are a pain to get on but well worth it when the snow falls and the tractor bites in like a little tank. I been on some hard pack and ice and without the chains, I would have needed my truck to pull me out of a few places.

/ CK30 Chains #10  
Thank you all for your replies. Is there a need for Chain Tensioners?

Thanks
Yes, in addition to keeping chains away from sheet metal.. you also want to keep the chain ends tied up. I had one chain end a little sloppy, just a few inches, no big deal... well a link managed to get caught on the locking pin for the link that locates the 3pt arms side to side. I suddenly stopped, wasn't moving very fast, couldn't move forward, thought I left brakes on... got off and looked.. that link is now bent at a 45 and I need to replace it. :eek: