Ballast CK30 Gross Vehicle Weight

/ CK30 Gross Vehicle Weight #1  

EldonC

A few weeks back I posted a question regarding loading my Ags on the rear of my CK30.I got several very interesting and very informative replies.One which I received cautioned me against exceeding the gross weight rating of my tractor.
Try as I might I cannot find information on Kioti's website,my tractor nor my manual regarding this figure.The tractor weighs
3042 lbs has a KL130 FEL and currently has a Kioti RB20-72
rear blade.I believe the loader weighs about 850 lbs and guess the rear blade to be about 300-400 lbs for an estimated total of apx. 4200-4300 lbs.I want to load the rear tires for reasons other than the FEL(I agree with most of the previous posts that a ballast box would be better than loaded tires for FEL)My question would be in short :Could anyone tell me what the absolute maximun weight rating of my tractor would be ?
I am led to believe that the loaded tires will add a further 400-500 lbs to the above estimated of its total weight currently.
EldonC

/ CK30 Gross Vehicle Weight #2  
The nice thing about adding weight to the tires is that it is unsprung weight. Or, the tractor isn't carrying it so the tractor isn't at risk of being damaged by weight that it is not actually carrying.

By the time you add fuel and lubricants to that tractor I put mine at 4000 without any rear implements. I think your calculations about current weight are really close.

Don't think you have anything to worry about.

/ CK30 Gross Vehicle Weight
Thanks Highbeam for your encouraging reply.You know I had never given loaded tires thought in the unsprung weight dept.You are an active member in this forum and myself as a forum member at this stage who seems to be doing more asking than telling I am in appreciation. EldonC

/ CK30 Gross Vehicle Weight #4  
I realize the owner's manual is not very informative as regards weight limits, but, depending on which manual you have, around page 9-4, there is a chart for rear wheel weights which states maximum wheel weight is 88.2 pounds per wheel.
The manual further states that the weight should directly correspond to the job at hand and should be removed when not needed, which is difficult with liquid ballast.
Of course, people have been loading tires since forever, and most have not had any problems.
Liquid may be unsprung weight, but it does make the tractor heavier on the tires, and overloading can occur in certain instances where you have loaded tires and very heavy implemets on the rear.
I think the major concern is having an imbalance in your weight more than overloading with weight.
John

/ CK30 Gross Vehicle Weight #5  
Something about 88 pounds per wheel just doesn't sit right with me. Put a real heavy operator on the seat and these types of weight seem irrelevant compared with the weight of machine and implements.

What about the weight imposed when lifting to max with the threepoint or when a backhoe is attached?

Filling the back tires with fluid should not damage anything.

Or is this weight related to the fastener strength if wheel weights are added?

Disclaimer: Everything I say must be taken with more than a grain of salt. I'm well past the cutting edge of knowledge /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

How do you like your tractor?

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ CK30 Gross Vehicle Weight #6  
88 KG is equal to 194 lbs, but even that isn't much. Our CK30 only has 6 lug wheels so that may be a weakness.

"Liquid may be unsprung weight, but it does make the tractor heavier on the tires"

Not really, the tractor is still the tractor, the wheel/tire itself has become heavier. No bearings or shafts are burdened with this weight as it is transfered right to the ground.

"overloading can occur in certain instances where you have loaded tires and very heavy implemets on the rear."

Overloading of what? the tires themselves might be at risk but the ratings for them are easily found on the sidewall.

Getting going and stopping will require more power of course, maybe reduce the life of drive components that will see a small additional amount of stress but that is not different than with 3ph ballast.

/ CK30 Gross Vehicle Weight #7  
I would have to agree that this is "unsprung" weight and has no negative effects on the tractor at all. In fact, it should be better than a ballast box as far as wear and tear on your wheel bearings. Besides, too many dealers are willing to load the tires on brand new tractors for it to be a problem with the warranty or possibly a liability issue.

/ CK30 Gross Vehicle Weight #8  
I posted something about overloading the front tires when
the tractor has a loader and you are ballasting with liquid
in the rear tires and/or using wheel weights.

A previous Kubota of mine had 16" AG front tires and were
rated at somthing like 1320 lb at 24 psi max. My current
CK30 R4s are rated 2000 lb. I easily exceeded the allowed
tire loads on the Kubota doing loader work with only 250 lb
of 3-pt ballast and 350-odd lbs of liquid in the rear tires.