Backhoe classic JD 500C BACKHOE

/ classic JD 500C BACKHOE #1  

jd500c

Tractor
1973 John Deere 500c Backhoe
Hi, just new to this forum; from the posts I've seen, you all sound like a wise bunch.

I bought this classic 500c backhoe, she runs excellent but from what I can tell the engine is a bit of an oddball and I was hoping for any and all knowledge about any quirks or things to be aware of and also any history of thoughts on quality. It's a 4-270 engine, a waterloo from what I have read, with factory consol activated (solenoid) ether injection ( I use a inline heater), apparently has a counterbalance shaft for vibration (I bought the service manual).
And information would be appreciated. Thanks!

/ classic JD 500C BACKHOE #2  
:welcome: to TBN

With what you have, and know now, you'll be answering questions soon.. :D

/ classic JD 500C BACKHOE #3  
:welcome:
To the forum from Alabama.

/ classic JD 500C BACKHOE #4  
:welcome:
Actually the engine has a counter balance box with several gears & 2 shafts in it.:

Attachments

• RGP1687________UN12DEC94.gif
    RGP1687________UN12DEC94.gif
    16.2 KB · Views: 254
   / classic JD 500C BACKHOE #5  
That is a BIG HEAVY old back hoe. I helped a neighbor R & R a bucket cylinder to replace the seals. His is an open version, not a cabbed.

/ classic JD 500C BACKHOE #6  
The 270 cu in engine is the same one used in ag 3020 row crop tractors. It is a good solid reliable engine. It has wet sleeves, so easily rebuilt. As you mentioned, it has the counter-balancing unit bolted on the bottom of the block in the oil pan. The engine is a smaller version of the six cylinder 404 cu in engine used in many models and horsepower ranges in ag models. Same bore and stroke. Blocks and cylinder heads for the 4 cylinder version are a little scarce since they weren't used in many models.

/ classic JD 500C BACKHOE
Thanks for the welcomes.
Yes Zebrafive a heavy beast over 17,000 pounds with full cab.
Thanks txJim, I oversimplified, it's quite the balance box.
I look forward to making it a good looker, not just a good runner ;) plan on classic green in stead of the industrial yellow with two super sweet 70's style angled yellow stripes on either side to suit it's 73' vintage.
I siped my r4 industrial tires with a utility knife, 8 cuts per lug, still opening up but no longer have to sand my 1000' hill of a driveway when going back up to the house after pushing the snow down! Chains need a spacer, and with a 14 lug setup, that's not so easy.

Any strengths or weaknesses with this motor? Any opinion at all or common improvements?
Thanks fellas!

/ classic JD 500C BACKHOE
Thanks jd110, so she has a good powerplant, that's good. It's setup for ether from the factory, so it must be fairly robust I figured. Thanks for the response!