"Clean diesel" and injector pump reliability

/ "Clean diesel" and injector pump reliability #11  
Being on the other side of things, the repair side.. I see what happens to the injection pumps w/ no additives.. {30+ years rebuilding inj. pumps}
The over the road trucks, commercial trucks have little to no problems, NOT using additives, DEPENDING on what type of injection system they're running.
The "older" injection systems on farm/ag equipment IS seeing problems, NOT using additives..
The wear is MOSTLY SEEN in the PASSANGER cars & trucks from NOT using additives..
Theres a FLIP SIDE to that also>> I see extensive damage done by using TO MUCH additive..
Seeing that small pint bottle will treat 100 gallons, its difficult for a soccer mom to gauge the usage on a 25 gallon tank.. if ya know what I mean.?
I've also seen & heard of the old time farmer say.. If this is good for 25 gallons, if I double THAT>> it HAS TO BE BETTER..
He said that after the 3rd time pulling his pump off.. I just COULDNT get thru to him that HE was destroying his inj. pump.. from the inside out.
I see a lot of talk about Bio being used.. Are u talking about it as an additive.?? or just plain running it by the TANK FULL.??
I would warn u about running it by the tank full & not running it all the way out..
IF u let it SIT for any length of time, say a week or longer.. your asking for trouble..
Theres to many articles written about it for me to rewrite it..
I normally don't comment on the whole "lubrication" threads.. but I figured I'd share..
Using "Something" is better than using nothing.. & I'll leave it at THAT..

/ "Clean diesel" and injector pump reliability #12  
About all I run is bio diesel. That is all I can get and the pumps are pretty vague, it says something like 5% to 20% bio. I have also had it gell up at least once on me and probably three times total and that is running an additive.

/ "Clean diesel" and injector pump reliability #13  
I use a lubricity additive, Opti-lube XL and a cetane booster, 99% pure 2-EHN.

I think fuel system wear is pretty well documented and the OEM manufacturers have lobbied for better standards such as those in Europe. If you look at the specs for Diesel engines you will see that North American variants are all tuned down.

2-EHN or other cetane boosters capable of getting the cetane number up to 55, will reduce the peak pressures in your cylinders, thus reducing those pesky injector seal blow-outs and stretched head bolts.

/ "Clean diesel" and injector pump reliability #14  
The old school injection pumps are engine oil lubricated. The only problem an old school in line p pump might suffer is seal degradation and leaks

/ "Clean diesel" and injector pump reliability
The old school injection pumps are engine oil lubricated. The only problem an old school in line p pump might suffer is seal degradation and leaks

Thanks for the info. Is a 'p pump' a piston pump? My tractor runs a CAV unit. Does that mean that the seals wear/degrade, but the bores in which the seals work are not direly affected?

/ "Clean diesel" and injector pump reliability #16  
We will see if I learn something here. It's been interesting so far.

/ "Clean diesel" and injector pump reliability #17  
back to the original post. Sulphur is not a lubricant, the removal of the Sulphur from the fuel has the unintended effect of striping the lubrication properties from the fuel. I don't run additives in my trucks or equipment. I currently have 5 diesels I take care of. The newer trucks use common rail pumps that have far less moving parts, they are also built much stronger then the old school lower pressure pumps. I doubt stainless steel was used to build injection pumps in the early days, It is used now.