Cleaning Debris From Under A BX

/ Cleaning Debris From Under A BX #1  

oldebuttonwood

After my yearly 6-8 hours of Rotary Cutting with my BX2230, I find that a lot of debris (grass and small sticks) gets stuck up around the hydrostatic transmission. I try to use a leaf blower but it doesn't get everything. Anyone have any tricks to get all of it out?

/ Cleaning Debris From Under A BX #2  
While I do often use a high powered Stihl leaf blower, I often find a high pressure air hose with an adapter works much better for the difficult areas.

/ Cleaning Debris From Under A BX #3  
A lot of members here seem to use an aftermarket skid plate so the debris doesn't have to be dealt with in the first place.

Do a search and you will find threads and pictures.

Apparently the HST fan is vunerable to breaking under the conditions you describe.

BTW, I use a 3000 psi power washer.

/ Cleaning Debris From Under A BX #4  
A lot of members here seem to use an aftermarket skid plate so the debris doesn't have to be dealt with in the first place.

Apparently the HST fan is vunerable to breaking under the conditions you describe.

Yep, have a set ordered myself.

/ Cleaning Debris From Under A BX #5  
I personally don't use my pressure washer on my tractor. In fact, I only use water to wash it a couple times a year. There are just so many little spots to get harmed by water, standing or otherwise. Not that the thing will melt, but it just isn't set up to withstand repeated, regular soakings and certainly not 3,000 psi water jets.

I use my leaf blower (Stihl). If it's wet, I wait until it's dry. Once it's dry, I can get most anything cleaned off.

/ Cleaning Debris From Under A BX #6  
After my yearly 6-8 hours of Rotary Cutting with my BX2230, I find that a lot of debris (grass and small sticks) gets stuck up around the hydrostatic transmission. I try to use a leaf blower but it doesn't get everything. Anyone have any tricks to get all of it out?
You are really taking a chance on
destorying a $1200 tranny cooling fan and shelling out another 1200 to 1500 bucks to repair the tranny housing for the tranny filter.

/ Cleaning Debris From Under A BX #7  

So is the tranny filter and the tranny case the filter screws onto.
It would be easy to do $3000 worth of damage in the blink of an eye.
Makes a 3 or 4 hundred buck skid plate look real cheap.

/ Cleaning Debris From Under A BX
I actually do have a old model Bro-Tek skid plate. Works great keeping out the big sticks but I think my problem originates from the rotary cutter blowing debris (grass, seeds, small sticks) back toward the 3pt hitch.

/ Cleaning Debris From Under A BX #9  
I actually do have a old model Bro-Tek skid plate. Works great keeping out the big sticks but I think my problem originates from the rotary cutter blowing debris (grass, seeds, small sticks) back toward the 3pt hitch.

While an open front rotary cutter disperses the cuttings better, the last two I bought have debris shields which prevents all the stuff being thrown forward; course you probably knew that..