clearing trees and roots with a grapple

/ clearing trees and roots with a grapple #11  
Excavator all the way! All you'll do is to beat up your 60... as someone suggested use the grapple to haul it away.

/ clearing trees and roots with a grapple #12  
OP didn't mentioned having an excavator.

I totally sign on to the "use an excavator" bandwagon. Depending on root structure you can just push over small diameter trees: of course, SAFETY is paramount- I've got a fair amount of hours operating tractors and excavators. I believe that I'd used a 9k lb machine to knock over some easily 4" diameter Alders: I also rent a 19k lb machine, so it's possible that it was that machine, but I cannot recall). But...

One way to properly assess the amount of work it might take to do a job one is best to seek out some bids from professionals. I had a huge cottonwood tree that I needed taken down (too close to the house- I was not going to attempt it myself). One guy beat around the bush and told me that he'd taken down a similar-sized cottonwood and hauled it away for something like $3k. No idea how much more the disposal cost, but I did not require such. He talked about bringing in a crew and climbing and cutting: I suspect that he'd had an "insurance event" and wasn't going to risk dropping from the ground. This guy never got back with a real quote. Another guy that I had come by and quote did the job for $500; he (and a helper who was mostly just watching) dropped the tree w/o even putting a guide rope in it- in a mater of a few minutes he had it down, perfectly set; he even felled another tree for me (right next to the cottonwood- was all in the way of my proposed fence line). I did the cleanup and in the process I killed my chainsaw (stupid me- I overworked it, high ambient temps and was running non-stop cutting into the massive trunk).

Anyway, look to get a quote from a professional as it'll give you a better understanding of how much work it really is likely going to be; you also might get some insights into how you might go about doing it (I've gotten excellent pointers from good professionals, folks that knew I'm a DIY-er).

/ clearing trees and roots with a grapple #13  
I thin at least 12 to 15 stands of small ( 1" to 6" ) Ponderosa pines every spring ( ~ 950 small trees ). Its not so difficult to pull - think pluck - pines from 1" to 3" - - my M6040 weight 10,100 pounds with a very HD grapple. Much above 3" and its a PITA. Half the time I just skin the tree of all bark and limbs with the skinned trunk still standing straight and tall. Besides when I thin its not in great cleared swaths - its one here, three over there and two just behind me. Can't do that with the big 'ol M6040. For me - thinning is with a small Stihl.

Thinning is - - identify, cut, drag to pile, come by in a couple days and chip all the piles. Dragging to pile is a PITA - chipping is the fun part.

/ clearing trees and roots with a grapple #14  
I thin at least 12 to 15 stands of small ( 1" to 6" ) Ponderosa pines every spring ( ~ 950 small trees ). Its not so difficult to pull - think pluck - pines from 1" to 3" - - my M6040 weight 10,100 pounds with a very HD grapple. Much above 3" and its a PITA. Half the time I just skin the tree of all bark and limbs with the skinned trunk still standing straight and tall. Besides when I thin its not in great cleared swaths - its one here, three over there and two just behind me. Can't do that with the big 'ol M6040. For me - thinning is with a small Stihl.

Thinning is - - identify, cut, drag to pile, come by in a couple days and chip all the piles. Dragging to pile is a PITA - chipping is the fun part.

You just need different equipment...:D
Extreme Tractor Tree Ploughing | #Forest Field #Root Plow | Brush Clearing - YouTube

Rock N Root Rake Video - YouTube

/ clearing trees and roots with a grapple #15  
Save your tractor, rent an excavator or hire it out. I started down this path with my tractor. We had 11 acres overgrown with bradford pears, thorn trees, and generally thickets everywhere. I did what I could with the tractor, but then realized there are better machines for this work. I rented a John Deere 35d excavator with a thumb for $300 for an entire weekend. What took 15 mintues each tree with a stump bucket or pulling, took less than a minute with the excavator. I could grab the roots with the thumb and pull them out. I used the little dozer blade on the excavator to fill in the hole.

When I was done, I put the scarifiers down on the box blade to pull small roots out, and remove debris, then level with the blade. Below is before, and after:

Before.pngIMG_6469.JPG

/ clearing trees and roots with a grapple #16  
ddbackhoe - First - I would have to use any of that equipment just to widen the driveway. Some of those boys must have felt like Rommel - coming over the dunes when he retook Tobruk. I didn't watch it all but I was surprised to see so many that just knocked the trees down. I expected to see more of the "forrest mulcher" type operation. Those lands with all the trees lying down flat - pretty hard to immediately plow into producing fields.

/ clearing trees and roots with a grapple #17  
Tractors aren’t meant for that work. A 100 hp skid steer sure, but the tractor will tear up. Use the excavator and use the tractor for the cleanup.