Clogged Radiator with Bush Hogging

/ Clogged Radiator with Bush Hogging #11  
Rch

I've just started rotary cutting this year. I have had the probelm too. Sounds like your 1910 is similar to my 2120 in the screen and air filter intake. What I have done is to bend that intake hose out of the way. The intake hose is very thick and stiff. The first few times I would squish the hose where I would want it to bend. After a few times it seems to bend a lot easier. I then take the screen and bang it against the tire knocking of the "stuff". I do this with the engine off so the fan doesn't suck anything into the radiator during screen removal. It takes me less than 5 minutes to remove the screen, bang it clean, and install it again.

This still doesn't address the problem of climbing up on the front wheel and hanging over the loader. Not only is it uncomfortable but dangerous. I've sprained my ankle once by slipping of the front tire during refueling.

/ Clogged Radiator with Bush Hogging #12  
I have the same problem, just use the compressor with a 2 foot extension want and blowgun. Gets in easy and aonly takes a few seconds but I do have to take the side panel off to access so the whole job does take the time to drive up to the shop, remove/blow out/replace cover and go back. I've been meaning to try wrapping some screen around the outside like someone else mentioned, think that would work well and allow clearing with a brush...........

/ Clogged Radiator with Bush Hogging
JohnS, interesting modification. Is there screen mesh over the new side vents ? My grill wraps around the side about 3" anyway. Also, do you have a screen mesh tight to the front of the radiator ? That is what clogs up on mine. Do your modifcations, with air conditioner foam etc, force the intake air through the grill and new side vents where I assume there is screen mesh ? On mine I think air, laden with debris, can bypass the grill as it gets clogged by coming in below the grill by the battery. Does your modification, by forcing the air to come through the grill/new side vents, filter out the debris at that point ? Does clogging occur at that point ?
You stated you have to take the radiator out of the tractor and power wash it to clean it effectively. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Do you mean disconnect the top and bottom hoses and physically remove the radiator from its mounting brackets ? On my Ford 1910 the screen immediately in front of the radiator is what gets clogged, the radiator itself stays relatively clean. Taking the radiator out seems like a lot of work with having to drain the coolant etc. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
I may try it without the screen immediately in front of the radiator. The mesh itself may be the problem with such a tight weave.
I may mount a swinging milk house pipeline brush with a choke cable to scour the packed fuzz off that screen in front of the radiator on the go.

/ Clogged Radiator with Bush Hogging #14  
On my Jinma there is a removable screen, right in front of the radiator. The screen weave is too large, and the fuzz will go right through it. A simple fix is to put ordinary window screen over the wide mesh, like this. Now the fuzz and small debree, collect on this screen vs getting in the radiator fins. It is a simple matter to pull and clean the screen. I check it after every hour of mowing or so. The screen hasn't clogged enough, before cleaning, to cause the engine temp to rise. And yes, without these mods the radiator eventually became clogged enough, so you had to remove it, to clean it. You can partially clean it and keep going while it is in the tractor, but since I was doing these mods, did a complete cleaning. I would not try running without your screen, or you will most likely end up doing the same.

Currently, there is no additional screening on the new side vents. My first attemp at that, did not work /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif so still thinking on that. They can be closed, so that all air intake is from the front screen. On newer Jinmas, the front air intake wraps around the corners. The foam does not form a tight seal, but from inspections it seems to be helping, ie less debree found in the nose section.

/ Clogged Radiator with Bush Hogging #15  
My tractors screens fill with the seeds from the fescue and broam. The long needle shaped seeds insert themselves into the each tiny hole in the screen soon clogging it. They don't come out easy but fortunately it does not get overheated--yet. The cottonwoods fuzz is also bad as it gets into everything and clogs it up including the airfilter. I use my aircompressor to occasionally make a pit stop and blow as much seed and cottonwoods lint out as possible. It is aggravating /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. J

/ Clogged Radiator with Bush Hogging #16  
<font color="red"> The cottonwoods fuzz is also bad as it gets into everything and clogs it up including the airfilter </font>

You know, some times I would just like to chop everyone of those trees down. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif I have a HUGE one across the street, and all those little "fluffys" plug up the oil coolers on my Ingersolls. Plugs them up soild. Only problem is I have no room to any kind of screen. The cooler is right up next to the grill, and I would have to cut the grill out before any screen would fit.