Clutch use and rpms

/ Clutch use and rpms #1  

namesray

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota rtv900: kubota mx5200
I have a question about what rpms are acceptable for using the clutch for directional changes (such as loader work forward and reverse). It is probably a stupid question, but a few things have come to my attention lately that makes me requestion this topic.

The tractor in question is a gear drive, shuttle shift kubota mx 5200.

I always thought that low or idle rpms were the correct way to change gears or direction, but I am rethinking. Here's why.

Tractor has a tier 4 dpf/regen system and I have been having regen cycles about every 10 hours. (Seems very frequent). I have always used the foot throttle when operating and allowed it to return to idle rpms before changing forward/reverse.

How hard on clutch is it if I just set the throttle at 2300 rpms and leave it there and make directional changes with the higher rpms?

this would help keep exhaust temps more right?

Or would this wear on the clutch more?

I think clutch is single stage, wet, with independant pto.

the new holland t5050 tractors we have at work with boom arm mowers are made to set the rpms at pto speed and change gears at that high of rpms and the clutches seem to hold up. Tractors have over 2000 hours on them and no clutch replacement. Only a few clutch adjusts.

What is acceptable rpms to still use clutch and what is your guys techniques? Thanks in advance.

/ Clutch use and rpms #2  
It sounds like the tractors you run at work have the Dual Command power shuttle....very different from what your Kubota has.

Changing direction at 2,300rpm is going to be very hard on the clutch, the transmission, the drive shaft(s), and the axles. On the other hand, a few seconds at idle while you change directions isn't going to make a huge difference in exhaust temps. Regardless, beating up the driveline to make a slight change in the regen cycle doesn't seem to make any sense. For most folks you're talking about one regen cycle per day of use....not exactly a huge deal.