CNH NEW MODELS

/ CNH NEW MODELS #41  
Only reason my shop is AC is because I have to control the humidity or my expensive machine tools would rust. I don't even like AC. In fact the only room in the house that has it is the bedroom and only because we like to snooze cool, not sweating.

Far as I'm concerned electric tractors like electric cars aren't ready for prime time yet.

When battery technology advances to where they can hold a viable charge and go the distance afforded by internal combustion engines, then maybe.

I'm sure you are aware that the batteries degrade in the cold as well as evidenced by the cars that would not accept a charge last winter. I look at EV's as just appeasing the government and not much more at this point.

/ CNH NEW MODELS
Only reason my shop is AC is because I have to control the humidity or my expensive machine tools would rust. I don't even like AC. In fact the only room in the house that has it is the bedroom and only because we like to snooze cool, not sweating.

Far as I'm concerned electric tractors like electric cars aren't ready for prime time yet.

When battery technology advances to where they can hold a viable charge and go the distance afforded by internal combustion engines, then maybe.

I'm sure you are aware that the batteries degrade in the cold as well as evidenced by the cars that would not accept a charge last winter. I look at EV's as just appeasing the government and not much more at this point.
I've mentioned it before. The mine I'm at got an electric crew truck for underground. They set up a charging station in the surface garage (unheated) They praised that truck every time I asked about it.
UNTIL winter set in. As soon as it came to surface overnight, and even though it was plugged in, the cold killed it. Then the water underground starting working on all it's electronics.

Now it's gone and in it's place is a bunch of diesel Kubota RTV's. LOL

/ CNH NEW MODELS #43  
Electric tractor will probably give you a nice electirc bill unless
you have plenty of solar. IMHO the cost of the tractor & battery
replacement isn't worth the money for what you get! Just think
how much fuel you can get for $10K in 4 years you could buy a
new tractor. Diesel fuel at $5 a gal you could buy 2000 gallons
using 240 gallons a month would have 8.33 years of fuel

willy
These are all good points that put the electric tractor purchase down the road a bit. There would be however, some savings in maintenance during the 4 years. No engine oil changes, no air filters, no issues with the complex diesel emission systems, etc,. Most of the battery charging will take place automatically during off peak electricity rates so the the cost will be less.

But I think ten years from now with improvements in batteries and very short charging times, the electric tractor will be common.

/ CNH NEW MODELS #44  
These are all good points that put the electric tractor purchase down the road a bit. There would be however, some savings in maintenance during the 4 years. No engine oil changes, no air filters, no issues with the complex diesel emission systems, etc,. Most of the battery charging will take place automatically during off peak electricity rates so the the cost will be less.

But I think ten years from now with improvements in batteries and very short charging times, the electric tractor will be common.
What makes you think EV tractors will be free of maintenance and repairs? I can see them having complex electronics that could cost thousands.
We also know that the average diesel tractor mechanic is untrained in electric tractors.

What is someone supposed to do when a deadline, like job completion or crop harvest needs to happen and a tech can’t get an EV tractor or truck to work?

People don’t think things through. They see the shiny object, but don’t understand NEW means UNPROVEN.

/ CNH NEW MODELS

That is the only thing that drew my interest to this tractor. Not the maintenance cost savings (because that is a nil point as soon as you have to replace that battery pack) but for a property owner it would be a good tractor if you just had to fire it up to unload something with the forks, or do a quick snow blowing, etc. No worries about having to run it extra hard or long to regen.

And if you are just using the loader to say pick up branches and stuff around the yard.....no engine idling......just jump out and it's off.

/ CNH NEW MODELS #46  
That is the only thing that drew my interest to this tractor. Not the maintenance cost savings (because that is a nil point as soon as you have to replace that battery pack) but for a property owner it would be a good tractor if you just had to fire it up to unload something with the forks, or do a quick snow blowing, etc. No worries about having to run it extra hard or long to regen.

And if you are just using the loader to say pick up branches and stuff around the yard.....no engine idling......just jump out and it's off.
I definitely see a place for electric yard tractors. They were available in the 70’s. (GE Elek Trac)