Cockshut 311 Rake Information

/ Cockshut 311 Rake Information #1  

Avondale

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK35 and Kioti NX6010
I am seeking any information on a Cockshut 311 side delivery hay rake particularly regarding the replacement of the chain tensioner spring and linkage. In addition, The previous owner told me to remove the chain from the drive sprocket when transporting the rake. The upper axle has a dis-engaging "hub" that is operated from a lever near the front of the rake. I would think this should suffice but I have been taking the advice until I know better. Any information on this rake would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob

/ Cockshut 311 Rake Information #2  
This summer I was raking hay for a friend on his acreage and using a Cockshutt 30 with a 311 SD rake. Unfortunately the 1 1/4" shaft broke inside the dog clutch housing so we had to made a new one.

As far as the tensioner goes I found these pics of a Minneapolis Moline rake which is basically the same as a Cockshutt 311. I think the spring is about 1"x5 1/2". For short distances being pulled behind a tractor all that's necessary to to disengage the dog clutch and if you are towing it behind a truck I would just keep the speed down. if you are making a long trip, keep the speed down and remove the chain. I would advise engaging the dog clutch while stopped or moving very slowly. I'm positive the cracks in the shaft where it ultimately broke which were at a large woodruff key resulted from shock load when engaged at regular raking speeds.

i50697.jpg

i50699.jpg

i50698.jpg

/ Cockshut 311 Rake Information
Thank You. Very helpful. Bob