Cold Heat soldering iron?

/ Cold Heat soldering iron? #11  
I agree. It looks like it must have metal contact. It also looks like it makes heat by running current thru this contact. If that is the case, it is likely to distroy ESD and low voltage electronic parts.

/ Cold Heat soldering iron? #12  
They prominantly say this about 3 or 4 times in the comercial. " Just apply to metal.. press, then release.. then the tip is instantly cold.. sounds like the metal becomes the heat source.. and yep.. I'd bet sensitive electronics or on circuit board soldering would be a no-no. Neat gimmick though..

Soundguy

/ Cold Heat soldering iron? #13  
Well I got one for Xmas. You caused me to see if it would work. I tried to solder a piece of #14 wire to a small alligator clip. Could not do it. Tried to solder two pieces of #14 together--no go. Tried to tin the end of the wire. No go. My opinion class A Junk.

/ Cold Heat soldering iron? #14  
That's probably why they don't emphasize how well it can solder, but rather how quickly it cools down.
Could anything so seemingly simple in design actually do both?

/ Cold Heat soldering iron? #15  
Yep. Basic physics. Common solder like Sn60 melts at about 183 C. So how can a metal iron go from ~200 C to 20C in a few seconds?

Besides this is a solution in search of a problem. You will never get burned by a soldering iron if you do not touch the tip! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fred

/ Cold Heat soldering iron? #16  
Watch the commercial really close next time. There is a dimple in the guys finger before he sticks the end of the iron to it. I don't have a dimple like that on my finger. I think they ran the film backwards.

/ Cold Heat soldering iron? #17  
Now that would be one for Nader's Raiders.
If the iron really worked they could afford an infomercial /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Cold Heat soldering iron? #18  
I've seen those small butane pencil torches used on sailboats to melt the end of lines that have been cut, so they won't unravel. For emergency solder repairs, also. And, I just bought one at the local Harbor Freight store for $5- haven't tried it yet. Looks like a workable copy of the better made, more expensive USA product.

/ Cold Heat soldering iron? #19  
Those little pencils work.. but hold so little fuel as to make them almost worthless.

I have seen both small butane torches.. and butane soldering irons at places like radio shack though.. and they actually hold enough fuel to do something.

Soundguy