Compact or utility?

/ Compact or utility? #1  

rebuilder

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 861
I'm looking to "replace" my dad's aging Ford 861. That's a 48 PTO HP tractor. I'm hoping to get 4wd, cab, loader. 4wd, because I have some wet ground, cab so the wife will drive i when I need her to and the loader for obvious reasons.

I currently pull 3-14" plows with the Ford in some heavy ground and run an aging baler, in addition to snow-blowing (did I mention a cab??), bush-hogging, secondary tillage, planting, etc etc etc.

My question is this: With 4wd, I can get more pull to the ground so do I really need a 48 (or more) hp tractor. Frankly, I've looked at everything from a NH TN75, to a MF 1547 and lotsa stuff in between, including AGCO GT series and the Montana 5740C. I'd actually like to go to a MF 5400 or comparable, but it's just too much money right now.

Also, has anyone dealt with leasing?

/ Compact or utility? #2  
From what I have learned here weight matters when haying. More is better. From my practical experience weight matters when ground engaging equipment is used and weight is a definate plus when loading. I would lean towards a Utility vs compact.

/ Compact or utility? #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( From what I have learned here weight matters when haying. More is better. From my practical experience weight matters when ground engaging equipment is used and weight is a definate plus when loading. I would lean towards a Utility vs compact. )</font>

2 out of 3 are correct.

Weight does NOT matter when loading. BALANCE is more critical than total weight. If you dig through the specs of the various brands, you will see that heavier tractors do not always lift more than similar class lighter tractors. The critical need for proper lifting is balance based on wheelbase, design, use of ballast, etc.

/ Compact or utility?
Agreed there, weight is important. Perhaps balance is more critical with the loader, but the truth is most of the tractors I've looked at weigh more than the old Ford, (I also have a 2N and an 8N, Grandpa wore red belly undershorts!)

What I'm teetering on is if a MF 1552 will do what I need for a couple of years, unitl I get this operation rebuilt (hence, the nickname) and then, if I lease, can I move up then to expand and do it all sensibly?

/ Compact or utility? #5  
For my money you'll get a lot more power to the ground with 4WD, but if you want the "Cab" with heat and AC, etc, you will need about 10 hp than you would without as the compressor takes a bunch. If you want to maintain a 48 hp to the PTO you will probably want 60 hp tractor. By the way you won't be disappointed! BobG in VA

/ Compact or utility? #6  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( My question is this: With 4wd, I can get more pull to the ground so do I really need a 48 (or more) hp tractor. Frankly, I've looked at everything from a NH TN75, to a MF 1547 and lotsa stuff in between, including AGCO GT series and the Montana 5740C. I'd actually like to go to a MF 5400 or comparable, but it's just too much money right now.
)</font>

Since you have exp with fords.. presumably diesel on the 861.. why not try a late model ford to keep haying.. like a 4000/4600 5000/5600 7000/8000

Cheap hp.. heavy.. etc.. ( by the way.. 4xxx will be updated equivalent to the 8xx ).

Soundguy

/ Compact or utility? #7  
Would you $$$ ahead to rebuild the 861 for a little money and use it for the heavy stuff, then get something nicer and smaller for the other stuff (including cab)?

Ron

/ Compact or utility? #8  
Or look into used Ag equipment that's newer than the old Ford. Look on the JD site for a whole lot of dealers who you can check out for used Fords after you read their JD ads.

You can also find quite a few dealers selling items on E-Bay and check their sites for contacts.

I don't know what you're planning to spend, but my FIL sold his cab equipped Ford 9700 for less than I'm going spend on A-plan for a Case DX-29.

Spend some time on the internet before you spend any money. You might find just what you need for less than you are planning to spend.