Comparative question

/ Comparative question #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
Hi,

How might the L-35 tlb compare with say, an L3410 up through L4610 in a GST format with loader and frame mounted bh?

Thanks for any thoughts
Richard
(searching for all the smiley faces and can't find them...have already had to retype this because I erased it in my other efforts)

:-(

/ Comparative question #2  
Hoo boy, you should get some interesting responses to this one...

First things first: To get smiley faces, click on the link 'markup in your posts' at the top of the page when you're composing your message. That'll give you instructions and the list of available faces. Then you can use the 'Back' command in your browser to get back to the message you're composing.

Now, to the lighter side of things: Tractors. I'm not going to answer the question you asked. Anyway, I'm famous (or is it infamous) for answering the question I think you should've asked. I wouldn't take an L35 for an L-anything-else matched with a Bradco backhoe because it provides the flexibility I need for using other 3-point implements and because the HST isn't available in the L35 (this is where I'm answering a question other than the one you asked). I've got an L4310HST with a Bradco 609 backhoe and I wouldn't even think about taking an L35 for it. There's posts all through this board and, especially, the archives discussing this ad infinitum, ad nauseum - just use the search feature to find them, or I'll respond to any specific questions you have or issues the other responses to this thread bring up.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have the L4610HST instead and I think it and the Bradco are probably the ultimate "L35 killer". For one thing the L4610 loader is more powerful than my loader was before I switched the cylinders. For another, it has the 4-bar bucket linkage that will let it roll back far enough to get a full scoop of loose material. (The bucket linkage on the regular Kubota loaders is not one of the tractor world's brightest ideas - in fact, it's downright dumb to build a loader that won't let you roll the bucket back any farther.)

Also, if you don't need 3-pt implements much or at all and for some reason can't appreciate the advantages of HST, go for the L35. It's one tough machine.

In fact, that sort of underscores the whole issue: I think you should evaluate very carefully and seriously which transmission type would really best serve your needs, then move on from there. If HST is the best choice for you, and I think it is, then you have to consider something other than the L35. Once you're to that point, you can get a stronger backhoe than the L35's with a Bradco, and it'll be just as strong a mount, plus you'll have a lot more versatility, if that's of any value to you. As for the loader, if you start with an L4610, you're ahead of the game there, too.

There - the first volley has been fired. Let the games begin...

Mark

/ Comparative question #3  
Richard, I have to vote with Mark on this one. I think the L35 is a great tractor and I have its little brother the B21. Then comes the "but", no HST on the L35. To me having a compact TLB, that is made to work in tight places, without HST you lose to much of the advantage the tractors size offers. Why Kubota does not offer HST on the L35 is big question in my mind. I will say everyone I have talked to with an L35 has found it to be a strong, dependable machine.

/ Comparative question
/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif
WAHOOOOO, guess I am a Big Dog now like the rest of you!

Thanks for the fast replys. One of the things I added in the post I previously deleted in my efforts to be a Big Dog was my conversation with Kubota the other day.

I inqured about any upcoming HST "L-35" or equal. He said he had seen a prototype with something like 43 or 46 hp but was told by Kubota that there were still some "issues" /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif yet to be resolved and it wasn't being released. (yet??) He said if things go as he "thought" they could go, that maybe Kubota could release something like that in 12/18 months. To his defense, he certainly made no commentary that Kubota WAS going to release something like this, just his gut feelings.

Mark C., an aside question, I understand you are a programmer of sorts, I was wondering if you type in your responses or if you do the voice recognition thing and talk them in? Certainly you would have to be a reasonably accomplished typist to do it (the volume you do /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif)manually. Only pointing out that my hat is off to you for your efforts of help and information. I am certainly NOT trying to make any inferences /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif as to your vociferousness, well not unless you maybe DO talk to your PC instead of typing. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Thanks again
Richard

/ Comparative question #5  
Richard - Nope, I type 'em. How does expression go? "I make my posts the old fashioned way - I churn them."

The possibility of a "New L35" an interesting one. I think they'll have to do it, too. We'll see, though. Unfortunately, marketing divisions are rarely distinquished by their intelligence or predictability, it seems. It's incredible how much more productive and profitable companies could be if they would spend a fraction of their overall advertising or R&D budgets on developing a consumer-based "advisory council" that would end up doing most of the really hard work for them for free or almost free. But that approach is too much like eating crow for the insiders to swallow, I think. There's still far too much "not invented here" disease in the corporate world for many companies to be truly progressive. Unfortunately for the consumers, they survive because their competition isn't any smarter. But sooner or later one of them always wises up first, then steals everybody else's lunch. We'll see who's first in the tractor market.

Thanks for the thanks. It's always appreciated. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif But I'm just one of a gang of us, thankfully. Wouldn't it be terrible if everybody thought like me? For one thing hydraulic cylinders and solenoid valves would cost twice as much because of the increased demand... /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Mark

/ Comparative question #6  
The big disadvantage to the L-series as compared to the L35 or even the JD 4400 4600 is that they have very low hydraulic flow. The L35 puts out 17.3 the JD4600 is 15.3 but the L series are 12gpm on down. What this translates to if you run a larger cylinder hoe for power is a loss of speed. Ditto with the loader. You can get good loader speed and backhoe speed at low tractor rpm. I hate to hear an engine run at a constant rpm even if they are more efficient that way. The loader on the L35 makes me appear to be an experienced grader as I can vary the loader bucket height in an INSTANT as the ground changes or I want to fill or cut. I could not do this with my 8gpm 1710, at any rpm.

You have to run both machines for awhile to decide which is best. In my search to replace my Ford 1710 (who I still dearly love in some respects over these Kubotas) I rented a B21, fantastic machine, but on my property I found it threw me all over the place and after a couple of hours didn't want to use anymore my back was killing me. I wouldn't have known that if I hadn't rented one though and used it at home. $200 well spent. The L35 is a big lumbering beast that is easy on my back over my rocky lumpy property.

I like the HST in my scooter (BX2200) but on the L35 I'm happy to shift when it needs it (super wide torque curve which makes it good in multiple gears at a given speed).

Why isn't the HST in the "industrial" tractor? I wish I could get Kubota to answer that one.

The L35 hoe is tucked extremely close to the tractor which makes it ideal for in the woods work or situations where the hoe would drag like some of the add-on hoes do. But if you want to use your 3pt stuff you have reassemble the back end every time. Mark has a setup with his Bradco that leaves all the 3pt stuff on.

The L35 also has a "real" loader in that it uses the compound linkage (4 bar) that tilts the bucket backet much farther. If you plan on picking up a lot of things, stumps etc, this is great. Allows you to carry things at a lower height. Safer. HEY MARK here we go again with the safety stuff!

Whatever fantastic machines Kubota comes up with, we just want more! Greedy I guess.

del
[email]oldcarparts@mygarage.com [/email]

/ Comparative question #7  
Richard, my talks with Kubota people (all rumors of course) was that the elusive "L48" was going to be the drivetrain from the L4610. Dealers I've talked to expected something at last years dealer meeting but only rumors that it had been delayed for nonspecific reasons.

del

/ Comparative question #8  
Del, I shouldn't even respond to your post - you're not even registered. (Ok, Ok, I get 10 penalty minutes for hitting below the belt. But it was worth it. /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif )

HEY DEL! If it's safety you want, dump (no pun intended) that standard loader bucket and get a 4-in-1. Then you can really get a grip on that stump and carry it really low.

Hydraulic flow is an issue with the L4310 on down, but it's been fixed with the L4610. I don't remember the numbers but it's quite a bit more. I posted them in a message in the archive. But the standard hydraulics are fast enough for me, even with the Bradco's larger cylinders. Besides, anybody who prefers a GST to an HST can't be too concerned about speed anyway. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif (Ok, ok, 5 more penalty minutes...)

Mark

/ Comparative question #9  
Hey Mark I AM registered, under del del. del.. I think. After I registered I could never post "someone" was using my name... I think I've figured it out though as it's probably necessary to accept "cookies" for this to work which I don't feel like doing. I don't need someone to have a track record of everything I look at. It's easier to just post as del...and add my email link to the text if anyone wants to blast/compliment/or otherwise contact me.

I thought about a 4 in 1 loader bucket but thought the weight addition would be weight I could then not lift. I have quick removable forks on the front of my bucket and am probably going to install the removable repositionable loader "rakes" for picking up stuff when I'm even too lazy to go get the forks. I've also though about those hydraulic grapples that you can mount on the loader bucket. A lot of the stuff I pickup though I can't clamshell.

Sounds like that 4610 with the 4 bar loader and increased gpm flow will be a neat unit.
del