Comparisons of JD310,Cat 416, & Case 580?

/ Comparisons of JD310,Cat 416, & Case 580? #1  

rScotty

Tractor
Kubota M59, JD530, JD310SG. Restoring Yanmar YM165D
We have a Kubota M59 and an old JD Ag with loader, but could use a heavier commercial backhoe/loader to help with the rebuilding from our flood last year. Only trouble is I don't know the machines that well.

Can somebody help me compare the JD, Cat, and Case? The Case I kinda understand as several friends have them. So a good 580K/L/M with a cab and extendahoe is on my short list. But I need education on the Cats and JDs. I can find model specific info several places but what I'm looking for is more of an overview or history and maybe comparisons between the brands. Not trying to start a war here. They all seem good enough. Anyone got thoughts? Or know where to find some articles about them?
Thanks, rScotty

/ Comparisons of JD310,Cat 416, & Case 580? #2  
We have a Kubota M59 and an old JD Ag with loader, but could use a heavier commercial backhoe/loader to help with the rebuilding from our flood last year. Only trouble is I don't know the machines that well.

Can somebody help me compare the JD, Cat, and Case? The Case I kinda understand as several friends have them. So a good 580K/L/M with a cab and extendahoe is on my short list. But I need education on the Cats and JDs. I can find model specific info several places but what I'm looking for is more of an overview or history and maybe comparisons between the brands. Not trying to start a war here. They all seem good enough. Anyone got thoughts? Or know where to find some articles about them?
Thanks, rScotty
My two cents is of the three I would rate Deere first, Case last. Also, if you can find an old Ford, (555, or even older a 4000 series) don't rule that out. Key in any case, just how clean does it appear to be and how much wear is in the hoe-if it has a lot of slop when you swing the bucket, chances are everything needs rebushing and the thing did not have a lot of good care-also look for lots of big time dents in buckets. To put that in perspective, I would take a clean tight Case over a Deere or Cat that was NOT very clean. Good care is obvious-as is abuse!

Your question is not much different than, which is a better pickup-"Ford, Dodge, or GM":laughing:

/ Comparisons of JD310,Cat 416, & Case 580?
Your question is not much different than, which is a better pickup-"Ford, Dodge, or GM":laughing:

True enough, but that wasn't my question. Since I'll be looking for a used machine, what I'm asking is how do the different models differ? For example, I know some of the differences between a Case 580E and a Case 580K...so I can compare them and decide I'd rather have the K - even for the extra dollars.

I don't know enough about the model history of the Cat416 and the JD310 to compare them to their own previous models. What were the improvements? How did they work out?
thanks, rScotty

/ Comparisons of JD310,Cat 416, & Case 580? #4  
True enough, but that wasn't my question. Since I'll be looking for a used machine, what I'm asking is how do the different models differ? For example, I know some of the differences between a Case 580E and a Case 580K...so I can compare them and decide I'd rather have the K - even for the extra dollars.

I don't know enough about the model history of the Cat416 and the JD310 to compare them to their own previous models. What were the improvements? How did they work out?
thanks, rScotty
Opps-sorry...I thought this was your issue.." and maybe comparisons between the brands."

Don't know enough to give you a rundown by running improvements on the respective series-other than to say I really can't think any of them would be building a lesser product with each successive series-other than to say, safe bet that the newer, the more complexity, more reliance on electrical control.

Perhaps when you find something that is in your price range and reasonably clean, post the question again as to that specific model. Might also help if you let everyone know just what that price range is. Big difference say between a Deere C series and a G series.

/ Comparisons of JD310,Cat 416, & Case 580? #5  
My opinion, buy the nicest, lowest hour, best maintained 4x4 extend-a-hoe machine you can afford. I learned on a 416 in the 80's and love the way a Cat runs. Even money I would buy the Cat but you just can't kill an old 580 especially a D or E or K. A concrete company I worked for had 40 580's and they would take a beaten by untrained abusive neglectful laborers. 8000+ hours was not un-common on an old Case. I never cared for Deeres and I'll leave it at that, though they do have a loyal following. I would also recommend a Ford 555 but most importantly get 4x4 and an extend-a-hoe.
Cliffs- My money used sub $25k I would buy a Case, $15k I would buy a Ford, New I would buy a Cat, and if I was 70+years or a grouchy old farmer I would buy the Deere.

/ Comparisons of JD310,Cat 416, & Case 580? #6  
If dealers were better the JCB is the best machine Then cat then case for me .

/ Comparisons of JD310,Cat 416, & Case 580? #7  
I would go with the deere. I have run them all and deere is number 1. cat would be 2nd and case & jcb??????? forget it. Im no way impressed. Case is popular the same way jcb is they are cheaper. u get what u pay for.IMO

/ Comparisons of JD310,Cat 416, & Case 580? #8  
I would go with the deere. I have run them all and deere is number 1. cat would be 2nd and case & jcb??????? forget it. Im no way impressed. Case is popular the same way jcb is they are cheaper. u get what u pay for.IMO
JD-ignoring your handle, your ranking is same as mine- JCB? I didn't mention- have run a few nice new ones, but they are all nice when they are new. A buddy of mine who is an equipment mgr for a good size outfit views JCB's in the "throw away" category.

No offense D7E, but I have to say I have never run across anyone who would put a JCB ahead of a Deere or Cat. In any case, nice to hear you have had good experience with them.

In anycase I still say, for a "part time machine", whatever he buys, if it has been well cared for, and he is the operator, he can make anything work.

PS learned on 4 sticks 50+ years ago-boy have things changed:thumbsup: