Compression in radiator

/ Compression in radiator #11  
Your auto recycler should have an expansion tank that would fit under your hood and connect to the radiator's overflow pipe. (need not be at radiator level, but it helps to be) Add 50/50 or 'premixed' only to that reservoir when warm, and a pressure-tight system will draw it back down to 'top-up' the radiator when the tractor cools off. A few hot/cold cycles will purge air from the system and maximize efficiency.

After a while you should have a full 'hot' and full 'cold' level to monitor in the o'flow tanik. If the level doesn't change after cool-down you'd have a leak that's drawing air instead of syphoning back from it. Sounds like you're pressure-tight and ready for the add-on. :)
When he says "blows" it out Im imagining a quick effect. Doesnt fit with expansion.

/ Compression in radiator #12  
When he says "blows" it out Im imagining a quick effect. Doesn't fit with expansion.

As an engine warms up, and with no radiator airspace provided I'm imagining :)rolleyes: ... :laughing:) up to half a gallon 'spurting'? out in a handful of minutes. Since it must overcome the cap's pressure rating when doing so, it doesn't just trickle out then that I've seen (it could vary a lot by warmup time, and some ran 'hot') ... 'shooting out' in my own words 'back when' (BT), maybe 'gushing out' to an oilman who'd rather not work on his own car, or just 'p__ing out' to a horseman who's seen higher rates of flow in nature ... :)

btw, s'up, Larry?? Y'know, I'd bet if we were standing SxS and looking under a hood we'd 'see' this one the same, check the same things, and wouldn't have to imagine much. :drink:

/ Compression in radiator #13  
As an engine warms up, and with no radiator airspace provided I'm imagining :)rolleyes: ... :laughing:) up to half a gallon 'spurting'? out in a handful of minutes. Since it must overcome the cap's pressure rating when doing so, it doesn't just trickle out then that I've seen (it could vary a lot by warmup time, and some ran 'hot') ... 'shooting out' in my own words 'back when' (BT), maybe 'gushing out' to an oilman who'd rather not work on his own car, or just 'p__ing out' to a horseman who's seen higher rates of flow in nature ... :)

btw, s'up, Larry?? Y'know, I'd bet if we were standing SxS and looking under a hood we'd 'see' this one the same, check the same things, and wouldn't have to imagine much. :drink:
Yeah, parsing descriptors is tuf in a single iteration. I hope OP, Dirk, comes back. He seems to be looking at the right stuff and yet the description seems not to mesh well with his evidence.

,,,,,Doing well. ... Like you, I hate to expend much on an imagined conclusion/solution. Good to see you on the thread.

/ Compression in radiator
Spyderlk

The water blows out immediately on start up.
Then it levels out and stops.

Regards

Dirk

/ Compression in radiator #15  
Spyderlk

The water blows out immediately on start up.
Then it levels out and stops.

Regards

Dirk
Thanks for checking back. ... Your problem is with the engine. Much in line with the post quoted below. I am puzzled that a cold leakdown on the cooling system did not show loss of pressure. ... And, moreover, that engine and coolant fluids arent mixing.

,,, You seem to have checked the right stuff. Theres no getting around it though - you have immediate pressurization of coolant at startup. The only source of instant pressure is engine compression and combustion. ... Im guessing a fine leak that reacts to very high pressure. That such a thing would seal tight very quickly as the engine runs is weird. It doesnt seem to be harming anything at this point, but keep a close eye on it so youll catch it worsening. You might try feeling for pressure in the top radiator hose as the engine starts and is revved up and down.

...Please let us know some details when you finally find the source point of the leak. Good luck!

I would do a cold leakdown test on the radiator and see if it holds pressure. May have a gasket leak or warped head that expands during work and stops the blow by. I have a fiat 2-60 White fieldboss that has been trouble free.

/ Compression in radiator #16  
"immediately" :scratchchin:

If I suspected a tiny head-gasket leak (that closes during warmup) I'd want to check head bolt torque, then do a cold compression/leakdown test on the cylinders seeking an 'odd' one.

Changing a head gasket isn't everyone's 'piece of cake', but since I'd expect a cracked engine block :)eek:) to leak when warm I hope it's the former of these two, at worst and if either, that's at the bottom of this.

I wish this was something simpler but thus far I'd rule out coolant passage (flow cold) or thermostat possibilities (opening as outflow ceases?) as I'd never expect a pump's pressure alone to overcome a radiator's pressure/relief cap. (15lb, not 7.5lb, right?)

Sometimes it's fun to be stumped on a problem, but that's the 'draw'. btw, I'm stayin' ... :)

/ Compression in radiator #17  
Does the Fiat have an aluminum head/block? Aluminum expands fast. Could explain a head gasket sealing quick. :confused3:

/ Compression in radiator #18  
I have re-read and do not see when this problem started. Have you had the tractor since 72? Did it ever not do this? Anything changed just before this started happening? Do you have kids that use the tractor? I always blame the kids.

/ Compression in radiator
Dear Friends
I was on the farm last week Thursday when the head gasket blew.
The tractor started misfiring and lost power.
Before the event there were a lot of compression (bubbles) in the radiator.
I saw it coming.
We took off the the head. The head gasket was completely worn.
Blown on cylinder two.
I bought a new head gasket meanwhile.

I appreciate your help.

Regards

Dirk Crous