Concerns with 1050 For Loader Work?

/ Concerns with 1050 For Loader Work? #1  

ScipioUSA

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 20 Industrial, Ghosts of Farmalls Past
Good Morning everyone.

Dont usually post here in the "Green" section, so wanted to try and ask some questions for folks that know these machines better.

I currently have a MF 20 that is going to need a split and some love to fix a PTO clutch, and Im not sure if I will be able to tackle it myself or not. Given that, I let my eyes wander some, and found a kinda local early 80's 1050 with a 75 loader on it. Has a little over 1400 hours.

From what I have read, these are Yanmar tractors, and known for being good machines.

It does say that it has power steering, which is a good thing for the loader for sure. But are the front ends/steering boxes OK with loader work? Are parts impossible to find if something goes out?

What is the typical number of hours on these engines before a rebuild is in order?

I am not worried about it being a gear drive machine, and would use it around my property for wood chipping, bush hogging, general loader work around the yard, so not a really hard life.

The thought being if I can trade my current tractor in, I could potentially move to a diesel machine with a detachable loader thats a decade newer, at the expense of not having loader capacity. (Then again, there is always a chance something will break, especially on a 40 year old tractor...)

Appreciate any insight!

/ Concerns with 1050 For Loader Work? #2  
My 870 has a little over 1,200 hours on it. Last I check the truck had 5,600 hours on it and I added another 17,000 mile since then to get it to 200,000 miles. Car has 700,000 miles but no hour meter. Under 2,000 hours with proper oil changes is nothing.

870 is the next generation newer than the 50 series. I load and unload round hay bales and move manure to the compost pile. Along with usual mowing and branch chipping. 2wd and 9 speed manual transmission. I sometimes wish I had gotten a 1070.

I do need to split the tractor sometime for a new throw out bearing and to clean the input/pto shafts. Sitting in the weather for almost 30 years is not ideal.

/ Concerns with 1050 For Loader Work? #3  

It does say that it has power steering....

John Deere 1050​

John Deere 1050 tractor photo
Mechanical
Chassis:4x2 2WD
4x4 MFWD 4WD
Steering:manual

2-WD tractors are not optimal for FEL work.

Last edited:
   / Concerns with 1050 For Loader Work?

It does say that it has power steering....

John Deere 1050​

John Deere 1050 tractor photo
Mechanical
Chassis:4x2 2WD
4x4 MFWD 4WD
Steering:manual

2-WD tractors are not optimal for FEL work.
Well, sometimes the ones that show you don't have much choice. My property is flat and 4WD would be nice but isn't a necessity.

I'm more worried about the steering box or the front end since it seems parts are getting expensive for the 50 series. Makes.my Massey parts look like a bargain!