Considering a newer (to me) round baler, any advice?

/ Considering a newer (to me) round baler, any advice? #1  

bazman82

Gold Member
Tractor
Same Mercury 75 Farmtrac 795DTC
Finally in the stage of looking for a round baler to replace my Gehl 1460. Right now, these 2 balers have my attention:

and

I have only been round baling for roughly 3 years now (all hay) and have only ever used the Gehl 1460 so my knowledge is limited. I have been reading to check the sledge frame for wear and weld if needed. Is this something for all round balers cause I have never done that on mine. I only do about 130-180 round bales a year. I also plan on keeping the Gehl as a backup as I do my own repairs but my mechanic skills are limited so it does take some time.

So on the 2 round balers I listed. One is a 2008 model and is 1k cheaper than the 1998 model. The 98 model looks great for its age and the 08 model looks good for its as well from what I can see. Any big differences between them operation wise? The simpler the better for me. I also prefer the hard core rolls over the soft core as I don't have inside storage for my bales and the tighter the bale the better. Price wise, these 2 would be at the very top of what I would want to spend and if I spent this much, it would have to last me the next 20 years or so. Ideally, I would like to find a good baler around 5k but I'm not sure that will be possible without having to make repairs.