Converting 3pt hitch log splitter to an 18hp Homemade tow behind

/ Converting 3pt hitch log splitter to an 18hp Homemade tow behind #1  

Piston

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4610 Hitachi UH083LC
I currently have a 3pt hitch hydraulic log splitter which I run off my tractors hydraulics. I have been pondering the thought of building a tow behind self contained unit using the current splitter.

I recently got a new lawn mower because my old husqvarna has seen better days, the engine on that is still strong and runs well (with a clean carb). It is an 18hp briggs and stratton engine.

I keep thinking that I could use this engine to drive a hydraulic pump and run my splitter with it. I know I would need to add the pump, resevoir (probably 20 gals or so?) and associated hoses/connections, as well as a trailer setup.

Is this engine too big to use for a splitter? Are there any pros/cons to using a large engine like this? Ideally I think it would be great if I could have a fast cycle time with a 4 way splitting head. I would also add a log lift/table as well.

I don't know if I'd really build it or not because it works fine the way it is, but I like the self contained splitter idea (I know there are tons of discussions on this and its mostly personal preference:D)

I'm just looking for ideas here whether or not it would work and work well. The cycle time with the tractor hydraulics isn't all that great (sufficient for what I do but I'm looking for an excuse to make a badass splitter:laughing:)

Any thoughts?

Here is a pic of the current splitter, no name, homemade. Don't mind the galvanized bucket in the pic :laughing:

Attachments

• Tractor 028.jpg
    Tractor 028.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 1,468
   / Converting 3pt hitch log splitter to an 18hp Homemade tow behind #2  
That is what I did with my 3 point. Axle went where lower links are , trailer hitch on the splitting end. You want to use a bulldog type coupler that does not have a fold down type lever to lock the hitch on the ball. This is very easy to tear off when working up a large stack of wood.You may want to extend this hitch if the splitter appears to have too short of wheel base. My motor sits out back and the hyd. tank is mounted on the right side.Good luck, reading all the information on this subject. Motor and tank sit on 1/4 inch flat plate.