Converting from external regulator to Internal Alternator regulator

/ Converting from external regulator to Internal Alternator regulator #1  

135mf

Tractor
2018 CK3510H
Hi...I am a new poster and have tried searching this topic but with little or no luck.
I have a 1972 MF135 with 3cyl perkins diesel with 1725 hrs. I am told it is the American model. It has an alternator with and external regulator mounted just behind the instrument cluster. I am having charging issues and would like to eliminate the external regulator and install an internal reg. alternator. Does anyone have clear wiring instructions on how to do this or website that clearly shows what to do. Thank You so much for the help

/ Converting from external regulator to Internal Alternator regulator #2  
does it sometimes charge and sometimes not? Jump the switch on the oil pressure gauge if so.

/ Converting from external regulator to Internal Alternator regulator #4  
If you want a real good alternator setup, vs a 1 wire, go 3 wire delco.

remove old alt, install new alt, pay attention to pulley size.

find your old external vreg. One wire on it will be labeled battery, some call it load, some have load and battery tied. anyway, this is the wire that your new alt charge stud goes to.

on the new gm delco 10/12 si 3 wire alt, make up a short jumper wire with a ring terminal and a female spade. jump the #2 male spade on the alt to the charge stud.

that leaves the #1 wire.

you have at least 2 options.

1, get a inline lamp or dash lamp, or something similar based on a 194 marker lamp that gives you access to both lamp wires. IE.. not something that grounds thru it's case.

one wire to alt #1, the other wire to switched hot on the ignition. Ignition on = lamp on, once started and alt charging, lamp = off.

2, install a diode in the line, 1a/50piv minimum, but 3a/200piv preferred. diodes have a stripe onthem denoting cathode. Cathode goes toward alternator. strain relief the diode.

common diodes to use are radio shack 276-1141 276-1661 or generically, a 1N5408 spec diode.

/ Converting from external regulator to Internal Alternator regulator
Thank you for the replies......I am not to savvy with electrical and I am not too sure that wiring on the tractor is factory.....That being said, I can see that there is a wire coming from the oil pressure gauge to the headlight switch.....someone told me this was the "exciter" to get the alternator to charge.....I want to eliminate the external regulator altogether , but still have my gauges...(oil pressure, voltmeter, water temp, tach and dash lights to still work as they do now)... I also have an ammeter, but hooked up a voltmeter to give an actual readout of what the charging system was putting into the battery. Besides wanting my tractor charging correctly, I have installed several work lights, and a heater blower in the cab...all of which draw plenty of power...I am thinking a 60 amp alternator would greatly improve my charging capabilities....would anyone have a drawing of exactly where the wires go...or a simplified explanation of how to accomplish this ....Thank You

/ Converting from external regulator to Internal Alternator regulator #6  
Since you are a novice I suggest the 1 wire conversion of a GM alternator to your tractor mentioned by George.
There are more sophisticated ways to make these conversions but you can always continue to upgrade to these systems without wasting anything should you later feel the need
Stick to the smaller amperage output alternators to avoid drive belt issues,
Once you get the GM alternator physically mounted and have questions about the wiring many of us can help you complete the work.
Dave M7040

/ Converting from external regulator to Internal Alternator regulator #7  
Since you are a novice I suggest the 1 wire conversion of a GM alternator to your tractor mentioned by George.
There are more sophisticated ways to make these conversions but you can always continue to upgrade to these systems without wasting anything should you later feel the need
Stick to the smaller amperage output alternators to avoid drive belt issues,
Once you get the GM alternator physically mounted and have questions about the wiring many of us can help you complete the work.
Dave M7040

/ Converting from external regulator to Internal Alternator regulator #8  
Ps, the ammeter is actually the more accurate way to tell what your alt is putting into the battery. Voltmeter measures system voltage. Ammeter immediately tells you if there is a discharge situation.. Voltmeter, not so much..