converting non brake axle to a brake axle

/ converting non brake axle to a brake axle #11  
I have found it's sometimes cheaper to buy a whole new backing plate. When I priced out brake shoes, magnets, and spring kit last week it was $35 more than buying the plate fully assembled all ready to bolt on. Just my $.02

/ converting non brake axle to a brake axle #12  
I have found it's sometimes cheaper to buy a whole new backing plate. When I priced out brake shoes, magnets, and spring kit last week it was $35 more than buying the plate fully assembled all ready to bolt on. Just my $.02

Great point. Its the same money or less 9 times out of 10 and you get all new hardware.

Chris

/ converting non brake axle to a brake axle #13  
Well your in luck because your tag axle has brake flanges. As for the shoes and magnets only replace when necessary. Magnet is always at the 6 o-clock. They last a long time. To check the magnet put 12 volts to it, you can pull the brake-away cable if equipped, and see if it will hold a hammer.

Chris

I assume that the brake flange is the flange with the bolts just outside the springs?

/ converting non brake axle to a brake axle

ya i was on etrailer.com this afternoon noticing that a magnet went for $50 and an entire backing plate assembly with springs, magnet, shoes etc installed as $55 so its kinda a no brainer.

/ converting non brake axle to a brake axle #15  
I assume that the brake flange is the flange with the bolts just outside the springs?

Yep, that is it. I have never seen one with studs pressed in though. All the ones I have dealt with just have holes and you put bolts and lock nut on.

Just a little different.

Chris

/ converting non brake axle to a brake axle #16  
Yep, that is it. I have never seen one with studs pressed in though. All the ones I have dealt with just have holes and you put bolts and lock nut on.

Just a little different.

Chris

Thanks.

/ converting non brake axle to a brake axle #17  

Just a little different.

Chris
Yeah, that is odd...The Dexter's are a square flange with just four bolts IIRC from when I did my SA trailer years ago.

/ converting non brake axle to a brake axle #18  
2,000# and 3,500# axles are 4 bolt to the brake backing plate. 5,200#, 6,000#, and 7,000# are 5 bolt to the backing plate. The studs are still a new one for me though.

Chris

/ converting non brake axle to a brake axle #19  
2,000# and 3,500# axles are 4 bolt to the brake backing plate. 5,200#, 6,000#, and 7,000# are 5 bolt to the backing plate. The studs are still a new one for me though.

Chris

I've thought about making both axles into braking axles on my stock trailer instead of just one as it is now. This thread is quite informative. I'm enjoying it greatly. Now I just have to remember to look at my axles.