coolant leak on 5203

/ coolant leak on 5203 #1  

whitearrow

Silver Member
Tractor
john deere 5203
good evening fellas. my 2005 john deere appears to have a coolant leak coming from the left side top of the engine. any ideas on whats happening here. the tractor has sat alot due to downsizing of property. but, i just bush hogged abour 4 hrs and it ran fine with no signs of radiator or water pump issue i.e. no overheating.
thanks,
eddie

/ coolant leak on 5203 #2  
I'm afraid the chances of someone chiming in with the magical answer is pretty slim. Unless this particular tractor has a notorious habit of a specific leak.

Gonna require some investigation, tracking the leak to it's source. More than likely a hose clamp leaking or something similar. Get a good flashlight and start searching.

Interested to hear the solution. :)

/ coolant leak on 5203
i pray that is it richard. a hose clamp i can tighten.
thanks,
eddie

/ coolant leak on 5203 #4  
I just replaced the thermostat housing on my 5303, leaked for a couple of years now during cold weather, warm weather it was fine. I tried new gasket's a couple of times, no dice & i was beginning to worry it was a head gasket being it ran along that area.
5 days later with temps all over the place, it is dry with no signs of a leak, look at the hose on top of the water pump that goes into the metal tube going to the thermostat housing, mine was cracked real bad so i replaced it as well while i had it apart.

Ronnie

/ coolant leak on 5203
Well fellas I'm hoping I "fixed" the problem I had with leaking coolant. I loosened the upper radiator hose clamp then tightened it down and now no leaks. I'm hoping that was it because I'm about to put it on the selling block due to not needing it anymore. I went from 62 acres to 10 acres to now just 2 acres ha!!
Thanks for the comments fellas,
Big Ed

/ coolant leak on 5203 #6  
:thumbsup:
Thanks for letting us know about the apparent fix.

/ coolant leak on 5203 #7  
I see your problem started early in December. Hose clamps in general have the tendency to start leaking when temperatures are just around the freezing point.
Good it was a clamp and nothing costly.

/ coolant leak on 5203 #8  
the block heater stopped heating on my 1999 john deere 5205. It's located at the left rear of the engine block tight up to the firewall. there is only visual access and no room to pull it out or replace it.

looks like you either have to lift the engine or remove the firewall frame with all the wires and hydraulics. There must be an easier way.