Core Aerator

/ Core Aerator #21  
cp1969 said:
Yeah, I know, I read all that, too. That's why I started doing it.

But the bottom line is my eye can't tell any difference.
What is the primary species of turfgrass in your lawn?

/ Core Aerator #22  
lawn_king said:
What is the primary species of turfgrass in your lawn?

It's a mixture of the native grass (probably K31 fescue) that was already in place and what I've overseeded with-- turf-type fescues called 'Overtime' and 'Apache.'

/ Core Aerator #23  
Do you have any closer images of your front dethatcher c-and-a? That is exactly the kind of dethatcher I'm looking for. I already have a trailer rake but I would prefer to have an "out front" unit... I have a box of 6in spring mounted tines out in my workshop and I had planned on making a simple frame on the front of my machine, but I really like the look of yours...

88987d1194705403-core-aerator-tractor-small.jpg

/ Core Aerator #24  
Best bet is to look at these pics - I can answer any questions you may have.

This unit is from JRCo..and the aerator is from Leinbach...

I did have to drill a few holes in the brackets to mount it - but JRCo had plans to support the BX series - not sure if they made the mods yet...

Jrco Inc. - Heavy-duty Attachments for Commercial Mowers

To the previous post - you bet, not turns with the aerator or it becomes a messy sod cutter... :)

Let's just say, my hand never leaves the 3pt lever when running the aerator.

/ Core Aerator #25  
Just re-read post from K-inSpace...

Leinbach offers the same unit in a tow-behind...

Website for them is a bit weak, but once I called, they sent me manuals, pics, etc via email...

May be worth a look if you like the drum style...

/ Core Aerator #26  
c-and-a said:
Best bet is to look at these pics - I can answer any questions you may have.

This unit is from JRCo..and the aerator is from Leinbach...

I did have to drill a few holes in the brackets to mount it - but JRCo had plans to support the BX series - not sure if they made the mods yet..

Thanks for the info and the link c-and-a. Wow, that is one strong dethatcher. I'm even more impressed now! The website has a lot of good quality close ups.

/ Core Aerator #27  
I have been very happy with my Turf-Aire core aerator. I purchased the tow behind with hydraulic lift so you can maneuver corners and make tight turns without lifting the 3PTH.
There is a big difference between a quality core aerator and the cheaper, lightweight units. This unit will pull 3-4 inch cores consistently in the Spring and Fall turf.
When loaded with additional ballast weight, it will put a big load on the BX23 to get it started, but then runs effortlessly.
I ran hydraulic lines to the front loader valve and use the joystick to operate the hydraulic lift. Very simple and easy to use.
I have not had any problems or repairs with the unit. It is a bit expensive, but you get quality and an extremely well built unit that will last forever.
I intended to purchase the unit for my own property, but it turns out that people drive by and ask about it. I have done enough "side" jobs to pay for the unit already.
They are having a sale right now and a heck of a good deal.

Turf-Aire Coring Aerators

Good luck

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=89249&stc=1&d=1194972179

Attachments

• IMG_4226.JPG
    IMG_4226.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 1,618
   / Core Aerator #29  
In regards to benefits of aerating.

Core aeration releases compaction of the soil allowing for water and nutrients to absorb into the ground, Oxygen to reach the roots, and allows gasses to escape. As someone else posted, it is part of total turf maintenance, and without core aeration, anything else you do is wasted time. Watering and fertilizing for an example will just run off into the drainage ditch since it cannot absorb into the turf. When the water and fertilizer is able to penetrate the ground you get deeper saturation, there for the roots will grow straight down into the ground where it is protected from exposure. On soils that are not aerated properly, only the top layer gets water so your roots have to grow upwards to get nourishment, building a thatch layer, and getting exposed to the heat.

You only want to use a aerator that pulls a true core so the compacted soil can expand. A spike aerator only pushes the soil to the side causing the soil to become more compact, thus defeating the purpose.

In regards to the moving sale, we are still looking for a serious buyer for the property we are on now. Once we sale the property and move into a new facility, we will cancel the sale. The purpose of the sale is to eliminate the amount of product we have to move and keep up with. We have already raised the prices on the items that sold well this summer.