Cost of crushed stone driveways?

/ Cost of crushed stone driveways? #11  
I just had a 370' road, about 12' wide, put down by my neighbor. He brought in 7 loads of what he calls "base" and spread it and rolled it for $1295, or about $3.50/lf /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif. Talk about good neighbors /w3tcompact/icons/king.gif - he also burned all my brush piles last month after the big rains in Central Texas. He used his big TLB to consolidate the piles and smooth over the burned areas when he was finished. I think he just enjoys "seat time", and doesn't get much of it at work any more.

My neighbor is a custom home builder and general contractor. In fact, he just finished building the TSC in Marble Falls which is set to open in October /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. He's let me know that he'd like to build our house, but I think he'll be this kind of neighbor even if he doesn't get the job.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=photos&Number=153836&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post153836> Here's a link </A>to what the "road" used to look like, and I've attached a picture of the new look.

Attachments

• 6-187098-Aut_3507.jpg
    6-187098-Aut_3507.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,114
   / Cost of crushed stone driveways? #12  
BillG49,

Had it rained on the road prior to the picture being taken?

It looks like my road. But then I guess gravel is gravel in a
picture! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Can I have your neighbor? PLEASE! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I'm sure he can
get the gravel cheaper than I but that gravel would have
cost me $1,155 for 7 loads of 16 tons each.

I need a neighbor like him......

Later,
Dan

/ Cost of crushed stone driveways? #13  
Dan,

Yes, it has rained about 1/2" on the road after it was put in. Neighbor had told me previously that he could get "base" delivered up there at $3.85/ton + $60 delivery charge, or about $120/load. We only "paved" the part of the road that climbs the ridge up from the creek. The rest was already passable for trucks.

He called me after it was done and told me his guys had a couple of days available to do the work, so he went ahead and ordered the material. Also, he had to do some additional preparation the evening before with his big loader, moving some rocks and bringing some sand up from the creek to level some areas. I figure I got about 30 hours of labor, including equipment, for about $450, and got the material at his cost. Can't complain./w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

/ Cost of crushed stone driveways? #14  
Bill,

Now that's a neighbor to have.

/ Cost of crushed stone driveways? #15  
BillG49,

Wow, what a neighbor. Nice to hear about the good ones
for a change....

If the base he used is ABC that would have cost me about
$7.5 per ton. I figured the trucking company can get it
cheaper but not almost half price! The $60 charge for the
truck is what I have seen in my area.

I'll take your neighbor in a second! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif