Cover Deck

/ Cover Deck #11  
Not much will break rocks, but rocks will break much. I've built a lot of fences and decks and I can't count the number of holes I've dug with a crowbar due to rocks. Actually, around here it's usually old chunks of concrete some wizard used as fill. Same effect though.

I usually use a two-wheeled hydraulic post-hole auger. There are plenty of them available commercially, but mine was put together by a friend. Since I generally work alone and my legs suck, I find they are great machine. Most places I work aren't big enough for anything with a 3 pt. hitch, and the hydraulics give me reverse if the auger gets stuck (pretty heavy clay here).

Since I'm always interested in different building techniques, I was wondering if you set the posts the same way I do.

I generally dig the holes, put about 4-6 inches of 3/4 down crushed lime in the bottom, then place a footing of pressure treated lumber in the bottom. Then I back-fill with 3/4 down lime, tamping it tight every six to eight inches.

For hole depth I use the 1/3 below ground 2/3 above ground method, but never use a depth less than 3 feet.

For covered decks, I also like to let in the beam into the posts. I doubt that it's any stronger, but I think it looks a lot more finished.

/ Cover Deck #12  
Broke down and bought a post hole digger. Worked great up until the last post. 18 inches down hit a huge rock. Tried to break it up but no luck.
How deep are the others? I'd think you'd be able to get enough stability with just the one at 18"? Or maybe install that one at 18" for aesthetics and just put in another one or two for the stability factor. I hope it is working out ok. Any pics?

/ Cover Deck
I finished the deck today.

DSC_2021.JPG

DSC_2081.JPG

DSC_2079.JPG

/ Cover Deck
DSC_2085.JPG

Added a couple of benches to my deck. I am going to add a dry stacked wall to the bottom of the deck.