Crabgrass control in newly sprigged coastal bermuda

/ Crabgrass control in newly sprigged coastal bermuda #1  

kthompson

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubotas B2710, M6800, L6060 cab, Volvo EC excavator, 2 ZTRs and various implements.
I had a few acres sprigged with coastal bermuda the last of March this year. I did use a pre-emergent b ut did a spotty job. Some areas are very clean while others are heavy with crabgrass.

My chemical person suggested MSMA with noting not labels for forage but will control the crabgrass and not hurt the young coastal. It will not be grazed but may be baled say in September but right now will forfeit that baling if need be for proper weed control in order to have better stand for next year.

Has anyone used MSMA on young coastal?f

I have failed to find any herbicide label for newly sprigged coastal to control crabgrass.

I also am confused with the MSMA label and find it to read to mow the grass and then spray and then in another it tells to not mow the crabgrass for a few days before spraying.

Open to all suggestions. Thank you as always. KT

/ Crabgrass control in newly sprigged coastal bermuda #2  
I have sprayed a lot of MSMA on cotton, but never tried it on coastal. I have also always heard that it would work. My neighbor sprayed some crabgrass problem area with prowl. He said it worked ok, but I think it needs to be sprayed in early spring.

I would spot spray the crabgrass with round up. It will burn the coastal down, but it would come right back. Sometimes I wonder if it actually likes it.

I did tried some MSM-60 this year for controlling Bahia in coastal and so far I'm impressed.

/ Crabgrass control in newly sprigged coastal bermuda #3  
I was spraying my yard with 2-4D amine to control the wild clover and pond weed and it seems to attack the crab grass also. 2-4D is supposed to control broadleaf weeds so maybe crabgrass is a broadleaf.

/ Crabgrass control in newly sprigged coastal bermuda
Did more searching on MSMA in coastal bermuda and found it was not approved for hay or grazing. So need another option.

/ Crabgrass control in newly sprigged coastal bermuda #5  
there isn't anything you can spray the first year, maybe shredding will help. The second year you can spray Pastora.