Crack in wood stove

/ Crack in wood stove #31  
Do you have TIG available? If so, you could do a fushion weld without filler rod. Just wire brush and clean well with acetone. Then just use filler on drilled hole. Then on inside, add plate to hold and add extra metal to heat.

/ Crack in wood stove #32  
I drilled a hole at the end of the crack and put a small bolt in it.
Good to hear. I think you are on the right "crack track". You just might have stopped the crack growth right there.

/ Crack in wood stove #33  
If it was me, I think I would go ahead and v out the crack, n welderup… the re drill the hole, put a nut n bolt in it torque it and call it done.

/ Crack in wood stove #34  
this is what i would used to grind the crack, the zip cut to make a groove down and the straight grinder to V it out.… how good are your welding skills? I hope they are really high to clean the inside of a used stove grind it and weld a plate in position, unless you flip it over but still, it will be a dirty job and hard to execute… but if you pull it of good on ya.

I also agree this crack could be a lot worse so you have time. My dad stove had a crack by the chimney hole for years, we could see through, it would let a puff of smoke if it was out of air so we would open it up a bit then it was fine.

Attachments

• IMG_2973.png
    IMG_2973.png
    432.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2974.png
    IMG_2974.png
    409.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2975.png
    IMG_2975.png
    433.7 KB · Views: 37
   / Crack in wood stove #35  
I run Jotul cast iron wood stoves. Have burned out the very good airtight steel stoves from the ‘70’s. Love them, but modern Jotule stoves make the same heat and burn clean

/ Crack in wood stove #36  
Welding steel is easy and your fix is doable. If it is steel, welding cast iron is a different thing,

/ Crack in wood stove
The cracks aren't spreading so I will leave well enough alone for now.